• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas slash XL5

Ultimate slash 2wd build

Traxxas lcg chassis unless already fitted.

Proline protrac kit £50 but is worth it to make the chassis into a completely new car with lcg chassis it should handle amazing.  

Tires will be needed for the 0 offset rims included with protrac. Trenchers or badlands are my choice badlands first choice.  

Hobbywing sc8 wp esc + 4000kv motor combo £80 ish. Not hobbyking. 

Hobbyking lipos from hobbyking too not from ebay charging more money for the same lipo.  

The traxxas 2075 servo is already pretty good so keep that until it needs to be changed. It's waterproof and pretty high torque. Plastic gear tho. 

Shocks either stick with stock and research the best way to tune them. They can be good with just some alloy caps added. Better springs and oil ect.

Upgrade to some traxxas slash 4x4 platnium GTR xx shocks. Or buy xo1 shocks cheap and convert them into gtr xx shocks using two longer shock bodies and two longer shock shafts. 

Or go all out and buy the proline powerstrokes.  Gtr xx are my choice tho being high volume. Stock shocks can be good tho. 

Top it all off with a nice proline flotec body or other scale looking proline offer. 

The four first items would be best route for cheap build that totally changes the truck tho. 

Standard with brushless power the sla2sh falls over alot when you turn around going any faster than half throttle rolling speed. Just fitting the proline protrac let's the slash turn around with 3/4 of throttle being given. So with the lcg chassis it should be even better. 

If you sold the brushed motor combo unused it could pay for more than half of the hobbywing combo too. Traxxas parts sell pretty easy on ebay in new condition.  

Guys with cheaper brands upgrade to traxxas parts too. 

Take butchers advice with a pinch of salt....or it will cost you at least a billion pounds:lol:

Yes, bigger Mah gives longer run times.

3.5a/5.0 setting for the stock, 3000mah pack being mindful to keep an eye on it and touching the pack occasionally to see how warm it is getting.

The LCG chassis is a very good investment and makes the slash really stable(compared to stock). If you break any stock parts  then replace them with RPM ones.  I ran mine for a long time in its stock form(with 2s lipo) and loved it!

6 hours ago, carlos318is said:

So is the 5.0 a faster charge

Yes. Generally, you would charge at the amp hour of the pack (3000mah = 3a charge rate, 4600mah = 4.6a charge rate) referred to charging at 1c.

By increasing the charge rate, the process is sped up. Try to charge at too high a rate and things can go bad very quickly.

all the 2s lipo batterys I can find a 7.4v but what comes with the truck is 8.4 nmhi does this matter? and whats this about 30c 40c ect

Sorry for all the questions but I have not been around lipo battery's as they were never around when I had rc cars

Edited by carlos318is

21 minutes ago, carlos318is said:

I got told today by my local hobby shop that if I put a 2cell lipo battery in my slash it will make it slower and run time will not be as long  is this true

Time to find a new hobby shop :D