• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Insides for Losi 22 2.0

EvilSalty

Hi,

Thanks to everyone's help previously, I now have a Losi 22 2.0, but now I could do with a little advice to get set up ready for club racing (Tiverton and Torquay). I know very little about steering servo's, despite trying to read up on them. ESC, I assume in need a 120A esc, other than that they all look the same to me. Motor, I am thinking sensored, maybe 8.5T, but confused how they can range from £25 up to over £100... what's the difference? Quality, speed, torque, reliability, efficiency etc??? are 4 poles needed or are 2 fine?

Don't really want to spend more than I have too, but at the same time don't want the car to be too slow :)

Motors

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-passion-v3.0-competition-bl-8.5t/rc-car-products/367302 - £35 - Is it junk?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-platinum-series-8.5-turn-sensored-race-motor/rc-car-products/370491 - £52 - Any better? if so in what way?

ESC

Hobbywing? - Cheap but heard some good things

Steering??? no clue :(

Cheers guys, any help appreciated.

The best advice I've seen to racers is check the tracks you'll race and if possible chat with the other losi 22 racers. If that's not possible look at the top losi 22 racers on Google and see what they run on similar tracks to yours.

I think speed passion is used a lot on racers but I've never raced lol. There's some great racers on here tho who will give some great advice. 

You already chose a good platform, I wish it was Schumacher tho lol. Solid British built rc. 

I'm seeing alot of usa guys who was strictly losi or team associated saying they now race Schumacher because losi & ae moved production to Asia. Idk how true it is tho but thought it was cool. Go Britain.  

• Like 2

I always used to race schumacher but wanted to try something different :) apperently easier to set up too so that's a bonus. Shame there wasn't another british choice that I was aware of. 

Just wondered really if a 35 quid motor could be any good. Also wanted generic advice on which esc and steering servo. 

Put side by side a £35 motor won't perform as well as a £75 motor of the same wind, but that is forgetting a very major factor - both motors can produce so much power you can't use it all either way!

The Speed Passions are perfectly OK. They are cheap because they are an older model, but were very popular and for a good reason. They are pretty smooth so much easier to drive than some other brands. The built in plugs in the endbell get annoying though - I'd rather direct solder but you can't. I have the 6.5t version in my 410, and a 10.5t version in my RC10 Team.

The Dynamite is better for sure - the 8.5t version in my 210 is very nearly as fast as the 6.5t Speed Passion in my 410 but in this case that not really a good thing. Just means I really should have bought the 9.5t....

I actually find I do better with the cheaper motors because they tend to a bit 'softer' with less overall power ie easier to drive.

In a 2wd buggy like the 22, I'd suggest a low profile servo. You don't need the torque a full sized servo gives and a low profile one leaves more room for the esc and receiver. I'm using one of these in my 210 and it works nicely. I've got better spec servos but they don't really help in the 210 so I'm sticking with it.

Again an ESC doesn't have to be 120A, though that is more common. Given that you won't want a motor faster than 8.5t actually anything above 60A will do. I have 75, 90 and 120A versions of the same esc (GM Genius) and they all perform the same in a 2wd buggy.  You just want a decent programmable esc that isn't too large.

• Like 1