• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8 race buggy setup input

Delarado

Hey guys,

Following on from this thread ages ago http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/206144-18-buggy-full-setup-for-racing/

Im ready to soon push the button on a car.

Im umming and ahhing about the radio.  Ive always driven a stick radio but there don't seem to be many around now, seems to all be pistol.  So I was thinking of going for the Spektrum DX4s, but only because it seems to be the middle of the road option.  I have no idea about features or what i need, so appreciate any input on that.  What do you guys use? How do you find them? Any essential features? any features to avoid? (Is ABS actually useful, and race legal?)

Aside from that I'm also looking for an engine thats going to get the car moving fairly fast, but isn't going to cost the earth, or make me hate life.  I've found some ho-bao 3 port jobbies that can be had for 60 quid.  The plan is to get used to the car on a crap engine and then put a decent one in it once I'm used to it.  I don't want to spend £500 on engine and pipe and use 2/3 of its life crashing out of races.  As I say though, don't want to put something in that just isnt going to work!  If anyone has any second hand jobbies I'd be willing to give those a go too, so long as they aren't hugely far gone (I dont want to be replacing pistons really)

Servos wise I think im settled on Savox 1268SG for both steering and throttle.  The 1267 is slightly faster, but I think its best to go for torque no?

Past that I figured I'd just slap a 2s lipo in it and thats about all i have to worry about right?  The car I'm looking at is the Agama A215.  Interested in your input if you have one, also what battery you are running as I'd like to order one with the car but don't know what battery size I need!

Finally for the A215 guys, are there any useful upgrades the car needs or is it pretty good out the box? I read the stock shock pistons are junk, and you want to change up the diff oils from the suggested setup;  Apart from that any other tips?

Cheers for any help!

I have not raced any RC for a very long time but will offer my opinion on a few of your questions...

I am also a stick user...there are both cheap and expensive 2.4ghz stick sets available.....if you think you will be fine changing to a pistol type then again there is plenty of choice....

You want a handset with 3 channels and built in failsafe (both common)....things like abs are pretty useless and stuff like EPA and curve adjustment are again pretty common but not essential....there are many other things that are mostly gimmics but we are all different...

As for engines then yes....to start just buy cheap until you get the hang of it...the 3 port Hobao is a decent engine for the money (basically a Fastrax Enduro minus the turbo plug).....for racing it is of course a much better idea to use a stater box and ditch the pull start junk though...

Other engines worth noting are the X-Act...cheap as chips but I have no experince personally....and the Novarossi P5..not so cheap but a cracking engine that is good at everything...

As for servos then Savox would not be my choice...and tyres will be track/weather/driver dependant......go to your local track and look/ask people.