• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What would you pick if you could go back in time?

Dondicalaya

Hi everyone,

So I am trying to decide which electric brushless car to pick out of the below three.

Ideally want something that isn't going to break easily, reliable and will go off road.

The choices are:

CARISMA GT10DT (looks awesome)

HPI E FLUX FIRESTORM (seems to have a fan club)

TRAXXAS STAMPEDE VXL 4x4 (looks rugged enough)

Baring in mind I will most likely buy the car from here or eBay, and I am new to RC world.

What would you pick and why, if you were to go back in time and were in my amateur shoes?

Thank you all comments appreciated and welcomed ????

If I could go back in time I would pick the lotto numbers for a big win.....

Out of those I would personally go for the stampede 4x4 although the firestorm is great and having owned both the stampede would be my choice but that's my opinion.....

• Like 1

As Gaz said but another way ide buy every one of the traxxas street cats I could.

I think it's the street cat the one and only traxxas 4x4 buggy. They are mega rare now I bet they'd get crazy money.

Traxxas called them back and had a big bonfire and never retried a 4x4 buggy which is mental when they have the slash 4x4 to build around now.

I do understand that when you are new to this its all very difficult because you don't really know would work best for you. All three mentioned are good models, but for different reasons and suiting different users.

The Stampede and Firestorm have a lot more ground clearance than the GT10, which will help on grass, very bumpy terrain and for jumps. They will therefore work better offroad, but at the price of not looking as 'scale'. The GT10 will be a little more limited, but look more awesome doing it!

The GT10 and the Stampede are 4wd, which is handy in loose terrain, but makes the RC heavier and more complex. Part of the Firestorms legendary strength is that its quite a simple design.

Then there is the issue of how 'hard' you will be on your RC. None of them should break hacking about in the park and doing fairly small jumps. If you want to do mega jumps the Stampede and Firestorm will survive much more than the Gt10.

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have the experience or funds to buy all three.

I'm leaning towards the firestorm due to the comment about simpler design and strength.

Do you think the 2wd aspect will hinder me in off road pursuits, or should I just go for the stampede?

If you want a capable MT but don't mind 2wd, then look at buying the Proline MT kit from Germany.

Rugged, robust, fleet of foot and a damned good basher with good spec out of the box. You need a combo, radio gear, servo and horn and paint for the shell. A nice build (gear box is pre-assembled).

Just my twopenneth to mix things up a little. Have owned a Stampede 4x4, prefer the Proline myself :)

When it comes to 2wd vs 4wd, the truth is that there are not a lot of situations that a 2wd can't handle but a 4wd could. On the other hand there are a lot of times a 2wd is much harder to control than a 4wd.

But we've cycled back to 'what do you want?' again. If you want an out and out speed machine thats easy to rip around the place, 4wd is the way to go, but if you are after something that offers a more rewarding driving experience 2wd might be better.

As many of us with multiple RC's can tell you, the beauty of a large selection is that different RC's can offer very diverse thrills. Obviously with only one you can't do this, so what you need to consider is exactly what thrill are you after. Do you want raw speed and power, a delicate test of reactions and skill, or an unstoppable beast that conquers all terrain? These things all push peoples buttons, the trick is to pick the RC that gets yours best.

Edited by Si Coe
  • Like 3