• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3Racing Sakura D4 appreciation thread

PurpleDrumstick

looks nice, noticed the motor is toward rear in a typical mounting spot, what does it handle like as my FXX has the motor right at the front.

im guessing you need to load the front end up with weight otherwise you have no front end control

im not sure i can comment tbh. Last night was my first time drifting properly lol i tried two different 4wd chassis' and that beauty of a d4. 

Only thing i did find is the d4 is very understeery but he could drive it epicly well, he said its all in power control and practice. He was pleased with how i did for a first timer though. 

He also said there is one MUST buy hop up for the d4 which is alloy steering arms as theres too much play in the plastic ones so they will be purchased soon 

Also, he could drift tandem with his mate who was using a DIB 4wd chassis and still keep up with him. They arent as slow as people say they are once setup right 

1 hour ago, PurpleDrumstick said:

im not sure i can comment tbh. Last night was my first time drifting properly lol i tried two different 4wd chassis' and that beauty of a d4. 

Only thing i did find is the d4 is very understeery but he could drive it epicly well, he said its all in power control and practice. He was pleased with how i did for a first timer though. 

He also said there is one MUST buy hop up for the d4 which is alloy steering arms as theres too much play in the plastic ones so they will be purchased soon 

Also, he could drift tandem with his mate who was using a DIB 4wd chassis and still keep up with him. They arent as slow as people say they are once setup right 

Understeer particularly on entry can be sorted by dialing in more negative camber, i use around 8 degrees now and its much more reactive but its also personal preference.

all the talk of RWD is crap, all the negativity comes from those who give up after 5 seconds and have no clue what they are talking about.

I have had the FXX-D go silly quick, however this is with softs and the tyres literally melt, even my DS racing mediums are melting on the rear 

ive initiated drifts so quick on softs that ive over taken the 4wd boys ...fun but wont be using softs any time soon as it will ruin the carpet which is used for racing as well so that plus additive lol. 

10 minutes ago, PurcyP said:

Understeer particularly on entry can be sorted by dialing in more negative camber, i use around 8 degrees now and its much more reactive but its also personal preference.

all the talk of RWD is crap, all the negativity comes from those who give up after 5 seconds and have no clue what they are talking about.

I have had the FXX-D go silly quick, however this is with softs and the tyres literally melt, even my DS racing mediums are melting on the rear 

ive initiated drifts so quick on softs that ive over taken the 4wd boys ...fun but wont be using softs any time soon as it will ruin the carpet which is used for racing as well so that plus additive lol. 

awesome. thats good to know. i now have a setup station with racing touring so i can get it on that to set it up 

Setup with RWD is immensely important so yea station will be so useful. 

experiment with shock position, camber link position and length etc. 

i know the rule of thumb for some reason is front shocks straight up and then lay the rears down, i found it too fast when it came to transitions, a bit snappy. 

changing the shocks and camber links slowed it all down for me. ..but yea rwd is a tinkeres game so keep experimenting.

7 minutes ago, PurcyP said:

Setup with RWD is immensely important so yea station will be so useful. 

experiment with shock position, camber link position and length etc. 

i know the rule of thumb for some reason is front shocks straight up and then lay the rears down, i found it too fast when it came to transitions, a bit snappy. 

changing the shocks and camber links slowed it all down for me. ..but yea rwd is a tinkeres game so keep experimenting.

that sounds like my kinda game to be honest lol 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2016 at 8:49 AM, heavyleftthumb said:

dans hopped up D4 is an awesome piece of kit, so nice to drift and so so smooth.

That it is that it is. His is the reason I got a rwd as I loved it. I know I don't have the oxygen kit (yet) but setting it up as close to Dan's as possible to try and get the same kind of feel from it.