• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Spur and pinion help

Wirralnitronoob

Right so my 50t spur got chewed up,this was on a 16t pinion and it was fast,ive got a new spur off a friend and this is 54t, its still pretty nippy but i noticed a big decrease in speed,i have a spare 13t pinion that is the right pitch for the spur,eould this be a better option do you think,? Before i start taking the car to bits again lol

Any info on spur and pinion sizes,and speeds would be greatly appreciated as it just seems to vaffle my head lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It will make it worse!

Divide the spur by the pinion and it will give you a ratio of pinion to spur. Original setup of 16t to 50t gives (50/16) 3.125. So Spur will complete one turn for every 3.125 turns of pinion.

16t to 54t gives 3.375 and 13t to 54t would give you 4.154. Consequently, for a given motor speed, the 13t pinion would turn the spur slower. Assuming that your original gearing was "right", the car is going to be very significantly slower (25/30%) with the smaller pinion.

• Like 2

No. It will make it worse!

Divide the spur by the pinion and it will give you a ratio of pinion to spur. Original setup of 16t to 50t gives (50/16) 3.125. So Spur will complete one turn for every 3.125 turns of pinion.

16t to 54t gives 3.375 and 13t to 54t would give you 4.154. Consequently, for a given motor speed, the 13t pinion would turn the spur slower. Assuming that your original gearing was "right", the car is going to be very significantly slower (25/30%) with the smaller pinion.

thanks for that mate it sorta simplifies it abit for me but still head baffling lol,ive just orderd a new spur and pinion but was looking at more, if i have a 50t spur with 32 pitch or 0.8 what would be the correct pinion to use with this running an ez run hobbywing 3400 kv motor and an wp sc8 esc,? Thanks guys

What is the combo going in ??

Bigger pinion = slower acceleration and more top speed.

Smaller pinion = faster acceleration and less top speed.

Smaller spur gear = slower acceleration and more top speed.

Bigger spur gear = faster acceleration and less top speed.

As for gearing suck it and see, start of with stock gearing and go from there. But you will need a ir temp gun to monitor temperatures. once you know what temps your getting adjust the gearing as follows.

hot motor + cool esc & batt = undergeared

cool motor + hot esc & batt = over geared

warm everything = just right

hot everything = way Overgeared

Try and keep the motor under 180f

Esc keep under 140/150f

And lipos keep under 120f

That's the higher end of the scale, ideally all temps should be less, a warm setup is a happy setup.

• Like 1

What is the combo going in ??

Bigger pinion = slower acceleration and more top speed.

Smaller pinion = faster acceleration and less top speed.

Smaller spur gear = slower acceleration and more top speed.

Bigger spur gear = faster acceleration and less top speed.

As for gearing suck it and see, start of with stock gearing and go from there. But you will need a ir temp gun to monitor temperatures. once you know what temps your getting adjust the gearing as follows.

hot motor + cool esc & batt = undergeared

cool motor + hot esc & batt = over geared

warm everything = just right

hot everything = way Overgeared

Try and keep the motor under 180f

Esc keep under 140/150f

And lipos keep under 120f

That's the higher end of the scale, ideally all temps should be less, a warm setup is a happy setup.

thank you very much mate that has simplified evrything with gearing now for me thanks,the system will be going into a stampede 4x4 aswell mate

My lad has a son uva a digger with a leopard 3900kv motor and sc8 esc and it's geared 17/90 and it does not get hot.

Your hobbywing can is longer and 4 pole so will have more torque then his so 19/90 to 21/90 should be about right.

• Like 1