• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya 58618 Monster Beetle Re-release

53HRA

I know right? 

They ain't the best but what the hell have you done to yours? I've got 2 DT-02 chassied kits, a Super Clod Buster and a DT-03 Aqroshot, all of which have been well bashed with far fewer breakages than I would have expected. If you'd seen the Aqroshot in action last Tuesday you wouldn't have believed it was a Tamiya! It's running a 3300kv can on 2s and goes like the proverbial, at one point during a full throttle run it caught the front end on a bank and did a flat spin, I panicked, fearing the worst and it just kept going. 

That sir, is luck  ! 

You know if it were 2 degree's out it would now be in at least 3 pieces, tears would be running down your cheeks and you'd be onto asiatee's quicker than a fat man can scoff cake ! 

That sir, is luck  ! 

You know if it were 2 degree's out it would now be in at least 3 pieces, tears would be running down your cheeks and you'd be onto asiatee's quicker than a fat man can scoff cake ! 

Luck has nothing to do with it. I've spanked that 'Shot hard and it's still asking for more. 

BTW, as a fat man, I can scoff cake bloody quickly  :tease:  :sly:

• Like 2

Luck has nothing to do with it. I've spanked that 'Shot hard and it's still asking for more. 

BTW, as a fat man, I can scoff cake bloody quickly  :tease:  :sly:

MMmmm cake !

I've had  loads of the ta02/3/4 and now a 6 plus a hornet / thundershot  back in the 90's and its criminal, or actually a very good business model as to how  weak they are..

If they were built like my losi, i  think tamiya would have been out of business years ago !

MMmmm cake !

I've had  loads of the ta02/3/4 and now a 6 plus a hornet / thundershot  back in the 90's and its criminal, or actually a very good business model as to how  weak they are..

If they were built like my losi, i  think tamiya would have been out of business years ago !

Again, what the hell do you do to them?

< I can vouch for the WT01 which is pretty much bullet proof. The earlier stuff in the 80's its a fair comment by todays standard, but against their peers then, they were always stronger. The re-releases are older tech and that is their charm, that said, unless you're bashing the crap out of them they're still pretty tough unless you're doing 6ft drops and running into kerbs at full pelt. I'm not sure I'd call that bashing necessarily, more like trashing!

• Like 1

Hah, yeah maybe im just a trasher then :)

I put a 2s in my thundershot, it didnt like it AT ALL :) - instant melt down !

Prior to this when i first got a Tshot in '92, the front suspension mount broke after mild bashing (jumping off a 2ft kerb) never actually got around to mending it untill literally 2 years ago when i got  a metal part for it until a few years ago - found some guy in russia who'd made the part from metal and was selling them for a pittance  - did the trick.. 

My ta03 /4 and 6 have all been weak as hell to- bits just seem to fly off them and cost a lot more to replace than the losi equivalents (because you have to buy the entire tamiya spur rather than just the individual part as you can with losi)..

Edited by gigeogre

I don't have any experience with the TA chassis. Maybe I'll give them a miss lol. Which bits melted down on the Thundershot? I build my kits with Lipo/brushless in mind, never use the standard bearings etc. I admit I've yet to build a brushless 4wd Tam chassis but it's on my list........................................

I don't have any experience with the TA chassis. Maybe I'll give them a miss lol. Which bits melted down on the Thundershot? I build my kits with Lipo/brushless in mind, never use the standard bearings etc. I admit I've yet to build a brushless 4wd Tam chassis but it's on my list........................................

Yeah i converted to bb before doing so. The driveshafts cant take it (5t) motor & 2s lipo.. Theres not enough weigh in the car for it to be stable with that much power in it..