• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Swollen lipo starting to smell

ill check the voltages of it before i just dispose of it,if its good ill keep it in a dry place outside like u say but if not ill have to take it to the tip,,(they have a battery section there so i will have to ask them if lipos are okay or not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally lipos aren't allowed in battery disposal boxes, they need to be discharged put in a salt bath then can be disposed of in household waste.

Generally lipos aren't allowed in battery disposal boxes, they need to be discharged put in a salt bath then can be disposed of in household waste.

that is what i shall do then if need be,a salt bath...is this just douse the batt in salt,not litterally give the lipo a bath with bath salts ;) lol

i use a old bucket  i have had some packs soaking for a few years now.  lol  even fully charged ones died.  never had anything bad happen in the bucket.

that is what i shall do then if need be,a salt bath...is this just douse the batt in salt,not litterally give the lipo a bath with bath salts ;) lol

The salt is to break down the battery tabs however if you don't discharge it first the tabs will disolve and the charge remain. I discharge mine outside using a bulb or brushed motor then chuck it into a bucket containing salt water for a week (i usually forget and leave it months) then take out and dispose in household waste.