• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

Hi

May be a sill question but is the away to tell how much charge in a 1s lipo as it does not have any balance leads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just measure the voltage at the (main) power leads; there are no balance connectors as you can't balance 1 cell against nothing ( balancing = equalizing the voltage in 2 or more cells ). ;)

Edited by suicideneil

Hi need help. I've got a new turnigy accucell6 charger and some lipo 20-30c discharge 5000mah batteries. What amp should these be charged at 5A or is that to high? Help please as charge on whilst installing deans plunges to other leads.

My friend said he balance charged them before I got them off him

5 amp is fine, but when not in use storage use 60% 3.80/3.85 per cell

And was confused about the deans wording?

Lol yeah sorry about that was in a rush and didn't check what I wrote lol.

Well sorted it and will be needing to storage charge them now as twiced and badly bent a dogbone :) need new parts now any ideas of upgraded 100mm front dogbone

Edited by Rc lari

• 3 weeks later...

hello guys,just need sum help for finding & purchasing a 5s battery pack uk

I hav a wr8 flux running a 2200kv motor with mamba monster 2 esc

what brand is best & voltage,run times ect..

Use the magic search button please- there are literally hundreds of threads asking about the 'best lipo brands'.

5s lipo is 18.5v ( nominal, 21v fully charged ). Run times depends on the model, terrain, throttle use, gearing, grip etc etc.

• 1 month later...

hello guys,just need sum help for finding & purchasing a 5s battery pack uk

I hav a wr8 flux running a 2200kv motor with mamba monster 2 esc

what brand is best & voltage,run times ect..

buy from hobby king UK wear house. .either zippy or turnigy....and buy the biggest mah. .c rating...ect u can afford. .All the lipo sizes r on the page so u can see if it'll fit...or if ur flash with the cash...get sum gens ace lipos... Edited by evssv

• 1 month later...

hello

just wanted so help and advice

what voltage an setting ect..would be best to charge this 6s lipo using this charger

coz I just want to make shoure I don't get it wrong an it blows,damages cells or fire

Edited by rc1987

hello

just wanted so help and advice

what voltage an setting ect..would be best to charge this 6s lipo using this charger

coz I just want to make shoure I don't get it wrong an it blows,damages cells or fire

Set the charger for lipo, balance charge ( or just charge ) mode, 6s, 5amps. Make sure you plug in the 2 main leads and the smaller balance lead to the side of the charger. 

More info and step by step instructions down in my Tutorials page, link in my sig ;)

Just ordered a couple of these Turnigy 2s Lipos, do I need to worry about water getting inside of the case?  If so, can they be waterproofed?

(the description said they were ok for off-road use, but it only just struck me that that might not include splashing around in deep water, which I like to do)

Just ordered a couple of these Turnigy 2s Lipos, do I need to worry about water getting inside of the case?  If so, can they be waterproofed?

(the description said they were ok for off-road use, but it only just struck me that that might not include splashing around in deep water, which I like to do)

Buy a boat for playing in water with.

Anyway, you can seal them up fairly easily, just splodge some silicon sealant or plasti-dip where the wires exit the case. Just bear in mind that you can't effectively seal the radio or esc as there are connectors and seams and gaps that you just can't seal 100%- sticking the receiver in a balloon works to an extent though, if your model has no sealed radio box. A water proof cover for your model would be a worthy investment:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/dustymotorseu?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

• Like 1

Buy a boat for playing in water with.

Anyway, you can seal them up fairly easily, just splodge some silicon sealant or plasti-dip where the wires exit the case. Just bear in mind that you can't effectively seal the radio or esc as there are connectors and seams and gaps that you just can't seal 100%- sticking the receiver in a balloon works to an extent though, if your model has no sealed radio box. A water proof cover for your model would be a worthy investment:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/dustymotorseu?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Cool, thanks - I was mostly worried about the Lipos bursting into flame or something if they got wet!  The rest of my electrics are reasonably waterproofed, I've completely immersed cars a few times and had no problems :thumbsup:

Driving through waters great fun BTW :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

A quick word about safety. I bought a couple of 2s Gens Ace 5000mah 40c batteries over the summer. I took my car along with me on a camping trip to use the batteries for the first time. They both worked fine initially but on about the 4th or 5th charge, one of them developed a fault. Thankfully, I had gone back into my tent to collect another beer when I noticed that one of the packs had started to swell alarmingly. I picked it up and threw into onto the grass about 15m from the tent. A couple of minutes later it exploded in an intense ball of fire - the power of the blaze was surprising!

I now have a lipo charging bag and keep my lipos in a metal box in the garage beer fridge.

Edited by Daz555

i just let my traxxas lipo fall into the ground from 3feet high or more it seems fine for now but im a bit afraid to put it in the car :( i will give a litle discharge on the charger just to see if nothing gets on fire xD if it stop working i get another one for half of price so not a big deal...

Some info on storage charge and using imax b6 please.

How long without use justifies a storage charge? If the battery won't be used for a few days should I just do a full charge?

I put my 3s 4000mah lipo on a storage charge almost an hour and a half ago and the buzzer still hasn't sounded to say it's complete, it's reading 11.40v and dropped off to 0.5a so should I just stop the charge?

Finally, when using storage charge function I can only charge at up to 1.0a, can anyone tell me why this is?

Sorry for the many questions but I'm completely new to this

20150219_111147_zpshdwpte5c_edit_1424344

Some info on storage charge and using imax b6 please.

How long without use justifies a storage charge? If the battery won't be used for a few days should I just do a full charge?

I put my 3s 4000mah lipo on a storage charge almost an hour and a half ago and the buzzer still hasn't sounded to say it's complete, it's reading 11.40v and dropped off to 0.5a so should I just stop the charge?

im not expert but for a few days i think you should use storage charge, its dropped to 0.5a because it will start dropping when its getting "full" and you cant charge more than 1a because in storage you might have to charge or descharge depending on you battery state and your max discharge rate its 1a. someone correct me if im wrong

im not expert but for a few days i think you should use storage charge, its dropped to 0.5a because it will start dropping when its getting "full" and you cant charge more than 1a because in storage you might have to charge or descharge depending on you battery state and your max discharge rate its 1a. someone correct me if im wrong

Good info, thanks

• 3 months later...

Quick one guys got chargrunning at 5a charge on a 5000. Witch is eat have been told.

Will it stop in it own once its fully charged.

Just panniking like hell forst time charging lipos.

Charger has picked up its a 5cell so thats right and am doing a balance charge

my antivirus blocks that site

Yeah, it seems to be a false-positive issue that's been ongoing forever. Have no fear, there are no nasties on the site; disable the anti-virus for the site and enjoy all the info.

Quick one guys got chargrunning at 5a charge on a 5000. Witch is eat have been told.

Will it stop in it own once its fully charged.

Just panniking like hell forst time charging lipos.

Charger has picked up its a 5cell so thats right and am doing a balance charge

Yes, it will stop on it's own, usually with a nice loud beep. Just check the end voltage and current that has been pumped in by cycling the display screen with the arrow keys. End voltage should be 4.20v per cell, current pumped in will vary depending on how much was in there before hand- if the lipos are new, they should have arrived half charged so expect about 2000-3000mAh to have been put in.