• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Andys X2 to 5ive Build

andyknight

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update now the forum is up again.  last outing resulted in engine failure, the engine just cut out and lost most compression.  trackside engine strip showed the ring was trapped in the ring groove and lots of chunks missing from the piston top, although nothing serious.  got the ring free and re-assembled with new gasket but no joy.  either the ring or cylinder was too worn.

Decided to go for the cheap option of just putting a new km head on, as well as new piston and ring seeing as a km head kit was only £23.  I went for the un-ported version to further save money so had numerous discussions over whether I needed standard gasket or copper 1mm version.  eventually found out that combustion chamber dimensions are identical between ported and un-ported versions but the piston in the ported kit is skimmed so fitting the un-ported version needs the copper gasket to give sufficient room in the combustion chamber.

All assembled with new seals, bolts etc.  started within 4 pulls on default carb settings! No chance to run in or tune yet.

large.IMAG0279.jpg.1706a478d7efffb8314e4

Edited by andyknight

Will you be running it in this sunday? we could have a running in race.

it's touch and go whether I can make it.  Supposed to be decorating the living room now I've done the plastering but let's see how far I get on Saturday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon doing some maintenance.  Replaced the rear wheel bearings and rear cvd's, cleaned up the rear dog bones and fitted some new greased boots.

I was thinking I would be putting my phatdad's on but these km driveshafts and cups seem to be holding up pretty well.

Fitted a new cy clutch as well after having a clutch spring snap on last outing and swapped my clutch bell over to the vertigo one I've had sat in my toolbox for 4 months.

Might even hose the mud off the old girl next weekend if I have time.

Edited by andyknight

So my guess now is that you've pretty much got rid of everything KM and made a car that you (hopefully) won't have to spend sooooo long spannering on..... You can finally come and play with us now, rather then spending the whole bash fixing the car!  YIPPEE! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the off-road car before it's tucked away for the winter.  I played with the carb and idle settings and now it starts after 3 pulls and idles nice, just like it should!  It's not quite as quick as before but to be honest it's quick enough for me without having to spend hundreds on a pro mx or something.

I also swapped the exhausts over so the f'ing loud losi performance pipe is on this car and my old standard x2 exhaust is now on my tarmac car.  Hopefully that will keep people in the nearby area where we tarmac bash a bit happier!

Edited by andyknight

Just a quick update on the off-road car before it's tucked away for the winter.  I played with the carb and idle settings and now it starts after 3 pulls and idles nice, just like it should!  It's not quite as quick as before but to be honest it's quick enough for me without having to spend hundreds on a pro mx or something.

I also swapped the exhausts over so the f'ing loud losi performance pipe is on this car and my old standard x2 exhaust is now on my tarmac car.  Hopefully that will keep people in the nearby area where we tarmac bash a bit happier!

Good move on the exhaust....

• 1 month later...

Yo Andy hows things pal? See you've got a couple of x2's nice how do they fair up to the bajas? Have you still got the Baja or did it go? Just been talking about the losi but buggying it and for me it'll have to be rear wheel drive, lol!

Have you been braking stuff as much as the Baja? Lol or are they as strong as they say, everything brakes but the km stuffs a joke for strength got sick of buying the stuff, but I suppose it could be just me that brakes it, but since putting such as kraken suspension arms on and tc stuff iv not broken them again,

5 hours ago, flatout! said:

Yo Andy hows things pal? See you've got a couple of x2's nice how do they fair up to the bajas? Have you still got the Baja or did it go? Just been talking about the losi but buggying it and for me it'll have to be rear wheel drive, lol!

Have you been braking stuff as much as the Baja? Lol or are they as strong as they say, everything brakes but the km stuffs a joke for strength got sick of buying the stuff, but I suppose it could be just me that brakes it, but since putting such as kraken suspension arms on and tc stuff iv not broken them again,

Steve, things are good mate.  tarmac car is all x2, off road is mostly losi, both are going well.  I've got the 30 degrees north x2 body coming for Xmas and a decent controller so lots to play with soon!  phatdad shafts still to fit on the off road at some point when the standard shafts give up.  Baja engine went into the tarmac car and most of the bits sold (got a full set of big bore shocks to sell sometime).

Braking bits has been much less since moving away from Baja and 5sc, very happy going to 4wd. I've broken one rear arm that was the result of somebody hitting my car when it was stationary and they were flat out, apart from that nothing else has broken.

39 minutes ago, andyknight said:

Haha I don't need 45mph in mine.  my reactions are too slow for that!

It's seriously impressive to see it shifting like that, took nearly an hour to sand down the engine spacers with a dermal to get them in the X2 chassis though.

9 hours ago, scatteh316 said:

It's seriously impressive to see it shifting like that, took nearly an hour to sand down the engine spacers with a dermal to get them in the X2 chassis though.

That's why I bought a second hand 5ive chassis for the off-road car.  Then I get full use of all the losi spacers!

1 hour ago, andyknight said:

That's why I bought a second hand 5ive chassis for the off-road car.  Then I get full use of all the losi spacers!

There is spur and pinion kits available that use the stock X2 spacers but they're like £60-65!

Much more then the £19 I paid for the 23t pinion and spacers.

Still don't fully understand why King Motor don't fix that issue, or is because the spacers don't fit they can claim is not a 100% copy of the Losi chassis and avoid law suits?

20 hours ago, flatout! said:

They don't break any where near as much as a Baja... I launch my X2 10-12 feet in the air with confidence the X2 will take it.

A Baja has never filled with such confidence, even a hopped up Baja.

And there's really no need to convert them to RWD, with the adjustable bias breaking and the correct diff oils it's quite easy to make them tail end happy.

Out of the box I thought my X2 was happy to kick the back end out at every opportunity and 4WD drifting just looks so stylish and isn't as easy as one would think.

Edited by scatteh316
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...