• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rally Conversion TL-01

JoeDreamer

I finally got round to getting myself a "Proper" RC Car, not some ****ty Chinese crap with parts that break every 2 minutes!

I picked up a second hand TL-01 for dirt cheap and I want to be able to convert it to run rally.

Came with slick tires and A awesome looking vintage Futaba Attack-SR transmitter!

I was wondering what size shocks I should get I was thinking 75mm but I'm not too sure and would I have to replace the T bones in it.

Also it came with a vintage looking ESC possibly a stock part anyone got any info on it like T limit?

And recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Joe 

the TL01 came in a few flavours, one was a stadium truck, it ran oversized tyres 

and has a GMC body SUV style. 

others came fitted with the road gear. 

Both used the same shocks, so no need to swap them out as yet. 

slick tyres can be changed to rally styled spoke rims and off road rally tyres.

tamiya do sell a rally style white rim and off road rally tyres.

Body wise the TL01 was a 186mm body fitting this is more closer to 190mm so nearly most 190mm bodys will fit.

BUT and a big B.U.T 

if you find a body made by HPI that you like the 190mm size wont fit.

well it will but the wheels end up to far inside the wheel arches, BUT this can be sorted by using different offset wheel rims to compensate.

tamiya did a few upgrades for the tl01, a speed set gear system was sold that upped the speed somewhat of the tl01.

and there were so long reach front and rear arms, these turned the car into nearly fitting hpi bodys perfect.

they gave a little wider stance and a tad fraction more shock ride. 

hope this helps you work a rally conversion for your tl01