• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bank Card Fraud

andyknight

So over the last couple of months I have been done twice with card fraud on the net.  The main things I buy online is RC stuff and I use the same set of suppliers who are all reputable and most likely the same as you guys use.  According to my bank it's online transaction fraud and as nobody else has my details I can only assume somebody has infected my machines with something that I cannot detect (tried many different AV products, phishing filters etc) OR one of these suppliers has an issue with there payment gateway.

Do I approach these suppliers and speak to them about this or should I just leave it?  My bank refunds the money etc. but it's 4-6 days without a debit card again whilst I wait for that to happen.  I don;t want to stop using these popular shops but if it happens again the bank may start querying why they should keep refunding me.

Edited by andyknight
  • Like 1

If i was you mate i would inform the suppliers and also check out your own security as regards passwords and stuff

Just out of interest, is this online RC firms in the UK or abroad?

All UK based.  I use the same set of companies as most people do on here and passwords are changed regularly.  I won't name them as I'm not starting a witch hunt.  Maybe I should switch to paypal transactions instead?

• Like 1

I stopped using PCs/Microsoft 5 years back, I also try to pay by PayPal every time. Tbh, if I can't use PP, I look elsewhere for the item.

I have a friend who lives in Bulgaria. He got his card skimmed. 70K cleared from his account !! That was the account his military pension was paid in to, so not in everyday use, As the card was skimmed In Bulgaria, the money spent online and in the UK, Australia Bank (his bank) decided to wash their hands of it, and paid him ZERO funds back !

You need to take every precaution you can these days to protect your hard earned beer tokens.

• Like 1

ok if someone had your details your account would be empty by now. but your saying it has happened twice  so is it only going on when you make a order. also how much was taken each time.  as it could just be a error  like when people double click then 2 payments are taken.

All UK based.  I use the same set of companies as most people do on here and passwords are changed regularly.  I won't name them as I'm not starting a witch hunt.  Maybe I should switch to paypal transactions instead?

Would definitely use Paypal where you can.  Also I would maybe contact them and ask if anyone else has reported it as it may be something their end that the scammers have attached to.

Other than that it may be worth taking your machine to a computer shop and asking them to have a look too, there may be something deep rooted in there.

My girlfriends (Windows) laptop was infected, had a total re-install from factory and was still there.  The infection was actually in the bios and was a nightmare to clean out! - got there in the end.

I use a Mac these days so don't have that sort of issue.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Thanks all for the replies.  I'm an IT consultant by trade for a major enterprise software vendor which is another reason why this is so annoying.  I believe I have taken every precaution I can and it's happened across MAC and PC looking at the 2 time periods of the frauds.

The first time it was several hundred before the bank flagged it and stopped the card automatically.  This time they got

I'd contact the suppliers and wipe your PC clean. Least then you know for sure that it is nothing to do with your PC. I know its a massive effort but it's worth it.

I always use a credit card when paying for stuff online, least then you are fully insured too. Even when going through PayPal and then just pay it off when my bill comes

for some strange reason when i pay with my Lloyds card and come to the verification part where you enter some password/numbers it just bypasses it without putting anything in even tho it shows it is loading the screen for it then just goes onto next part that says " Your order is complete " and thats on every website that i use my Lloyds card on.

Again the other day i used my Natwest card and had forgot what my password was so pressed the back screen button to enter my Lloyds details when i was presented with the " Thank you your order is complete " Now this last purchase wasn't for some

Lol hebby it's a hackbook.

PayPal only for me.

Yeah thought that.

Paypal can suck a fart. They helped some pecker rip me off with an iPhone 4 when they first came out. so buyer got a brand new phone and the cash and i was left with nothing.