• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho ZX6 breakages and spare parts saga ..........

Built my kit and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, driving it is also a pleasure but .....

My car seems to suffer damage very easily compared to others I see take much harder knocks and drive away whereas mine seems to break front suspension arms (wishbones) at every slightly more than minor knock. I hasten to add that I am a complete novice and my driving although improving slowly leaves a lot to be desired but is frustrated by more time spent repairing the car than driving it.

As if to rub salt in the wound, parts seem to be in short supply. When they are available there are only one or two, currently I can find none and this is the same for other spare parts that I wish to carry too. I would like your thoughts on whether this is a localized short term problem or are parts always this difficult to get hold of?

Reading an old thread on another forum (please forgive me but I couldn't see the harm) one member that raced at the same track as me (Maritime Raceway) said he had similar problems with wishbone breakages on his ZX6 and solve it for a time by replacing them with Durango DEX10 wishbones and Roll Bars on the front, these also seem to be in short supply at the moment. I would appreciate any other members thoughts on this and any suggestions/alternatives would be appreciated.

Lastly, if anyone has a surplus of high density foam rubber that they would like to donate and fit around the walled perimeter at Maritime Raceway for me I would be eternally grateful.

Built my kit and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, driving it is also a pleasure but .....

My car seems to suffer damage very easily compared to others I see take much harder knocks and drive away whereas mine seems to break front suspension arms (wishbones) at every slightly more than minor knock. I hasten to add that I am a complete novice and my driving although improving slowly leaves a lot to be desired but is frustrated by more time spent repairing the car than driving it.

As if to rub salt in the wound, parts seem to be in short supply. When they are available there are only one or two, currently I can find none and this is the same for other spare parts that I wish to carry too. I would like your thoughts on whether this is a localized short term problem or are parts always this difficult to get hold of?

Reading an old thread on another forum (please forgive me but I couldn't see the harm) one member that raced at the same track as me (Maritime Raceway) said he had similar problems with wishbone breakages on his ZX6 and solve it for a time by replacing them with Durango DEX10 wishbones and Roll Bars on the front, these also seem to be in short supply at the moment. I would appreciate any other members thoughts on this and any suggestions/alternatives would be appreciated.

Lastly, if anyone has a surplus of high density foam rubber that they would like to donate and fit around the walled perimeter at Maritime Raceway for me I would be eternally grateful.

Have you tried boiling the arms before use?  I'm led to believe it can help plastics that are more on the brittle side to be a bit more flexible.  

Parts wise have you tried the lhs where you got the kit?  Many are more than happy to rob temporarily from unsold kits to help keep a cust running.

• Like 1

Have you tried boiling the arms before use?  I'm led to believe it can help plastics that are more on the brittle side to be a bit more flexible.  

Parts wise have you tried the lhs where you got the kit?  Many are more than happy to rob temporarily from unsold kits to help keep a cust running.

Boiling the parts, that's worth a try. Thanks for the tip.  The place I bought the Kit has no stock and haven't offered to rob a kit for me but don't think I can blame them for that especially if parts are generally hard to come by.

Boiling the parts, that's worth a try. Thanks for the tip.  The place I bought the Kit has no stock and haven't offered to rob a kit for me but don't think I can blame them for that especially if parts are generally hard to come by.

Worth an ask sometimes.  It's things like this that a LHS can do, that an internet box shifter cannot.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I must say that I found my ZX6 less tough than its predecessor (dex410).

Getting hold of spares for me wasn't an issue but then again my favourite store's owner also run a ZX6 so kept pretty much everything either in store or in his pitbox.

If you're struggling with spares drop me a pm and I'll give you some contact details. Alex is really very good at support/prices.

To a different front I have now sold mine, since I simply didn't get on with the car.

For me the finish for the price tag wasn't as good as it should of been (it is the most expensive 4wd buggy out there and for that price the standard should of been higher IMO), it seemed more fragile than the competition and also whilst responding well to setup changes, it also seemed to want the setup chasing for the car to be drivable. So I have moved on to a cheaper car that is easier to drive and so far tougher...

I still really rate the 2wd 6 series cars, but the 4wd was simply not for me. Shame.

Edited by charlesk
  • Like 1