• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

what motor for my slash 4x4

philbr

Hi all im looking to replace my old and worn out VXL system in my slash 4x4 with a new combo. Ive found a few that i like the look but want to know your guys opinions on them:

1st:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-photon-sc-2.1fw-system-w-3500kv-motor-80a-esc/rc-car-products/385709

2nd:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-sc-c2-4000kv-sc8-waterproof/rc-car-products/376989

3rd:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle-sidewinder-sct-waterproof-combo-with-1410-3800kv/rc-car-products/381406

What do you guys think :) 

I use the bottom one on my blitz, excellent combo.

But have also used the 2nd one in my blitz and its also excellent.

I personally would get the castle due to the amount of programming you can do with the castle link USB.

But the hobbywing is very popular and works well too

I found the castle 1410 to have more torque than the hobbywing motors.

I use the bottom one on my blitz, excellent combo.

But have also used the 2nd one in my blitz and its also excellent.

I personally would get the castle due to the amount of programming you can do with the castle link USB.

But the hobbywing is very popular and works well too

I found the castle 1410 to have more torque than the hobbywing motors.

Ahh okay thank you for your input but I've heard issues of the sidewinder in a slash 4x4

Combo no.2, the hobbyking.

Reliable combo, is programmable via the box, which is far easier than having to connect to a PC/laptop as there's no leads to disconnect from the RX. The combo will take 3s comfortably, the 3656 sized can is torquey too.

The castle is smooth (fitted the 4600kv to my Pro Buggy), gearing will be limited owing to the size of the can and, tbh, 2s is probably a safer bet with the ESC.

I ran slashes on 1/8th set ups, 2650kv four pole, sc8 ESC and 18/40 revo mod 1 gearing...simply perfect for me, bags of torque, reliable 3s set up, with 4s available for pure silliness :)

Right okay so what are your options on the first option just out of curiosity.

And your bite is for the second combo "hobbywing" over the castle system I only nit pick because my slash 4x4 is heavier than most out there due to it becoming a desert truck

6e9e9f45f028e6778fc1dd9627fb748d.jpg

This is what the system will be going in

Etronix combos are a bit pants. There, said it now! ;)

Bigger can = more torque. The HW can is just that, and, geared right will allow 3s. Running a heavy truck dictates torque over speed. The castle can is smooth, will be torquey, but is 3650 sized, the extra 6mm does make a difference.

I'm not a fanboi of either company, both produce good products. Experience with the HW set ups has always been favourable and without that nagging doubt of will it vent?? I'm also a believer in leaving headroom in a set up, so 3s on a 4s capable ESC, 2s on a 3s capable...I run 7s over 8s on a pair of XL2's for the same reason.

Just my twopenneth

Ahh okay so overall you recommend the hobbywing system and if so what improvements can expect over the stock vxl system

I ran the hobbywing with the 1410 motor that would be the ideal combo. But you have to buy them separately.

Yeah that's what I was thinking that would be a great combination

It looks good. Don't know if it is.

Also its sensored, you can use it with a non sensored ESC but no point. A sensorless motor will work better with sensorless escs.

• Like 1

It looks good. Don't know if it is.

Also its sensored, you can use it with a non sensored ESC but no point. A sensorless motor will work better with sensorless escs.

Yeah i was thinking that, i think i might buy the sv3 system and run that for a little bit and see how it does and then purchase the sc8 separately. However i do still like the idea of the hobbywing combo if its going to give me more torque as i have a heavy truck 

Okay guys i know i have been a pain in the A$$ today but i just dont want to keep spending money on motor after motor. So i have come up with a few plans and i want to know what you guys think:

1st option:

Buy the castle sv3 system and later on purchase a hobbywing sc8 of need be

2nd option:

Buy the hobbywing sc8 and use this motor with it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAM-LOSI-R-C-MODEL-CAR-PARTS-LOSB9444-2800KV-4-POLE-SENSORLESS-BRUSHLESS-MOTOR-/161533579786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259c26d20a 

3rd option:

I just stick with the hobbywing 3656 combo 

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Edited by Devin

You need good batteries for the tenshock motor. It will make cheap batteries puff up quickly.

You could easily sell the SV3 esc if you don't like it,and get a WP-SC8. With money to spare probably.

Weigh the truck. 6.5lbs Max for the castle ESC, and limited to 2s. I think you'll find it underpowered and you'll be more limited on suitable gearing.

Four pages of info...go on, be a devil and order the HW ;)

Um I think I'll get the SC 8 esc but I just found the hobbywing quicrun 3800kv 4 pole motor what do we think