• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Should I buy one?

GilbertRC1

I'm relatively new to RC flying, but I own a a Hubsan x4 and some other things. I am also the pilot of my schools quadcopter (dji phantom vision 2). However now I want to buy something of my own to fly with my friends and wanted to know if the Ares Ethos qx130 would be worth my money. From what I've seen it looks pretty good and the bubble machine attachment looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the help.

Ben.

Seems a good deal to me. Ensure your local hobby shop supplies spares and take into account that its very light so a slight breeze will affect its stability which to be honest will limit your time out flying with it! I recently bought a twister quattro-x as my upgrade from the husban and aswell as waiting to find parts and limited time flying due to the weather (wind and rain etc) I've learnt my lesson in what the difference is between a toy grade quad and a hobby grade quad. Its all down to personal preference really and you will find that out. I think the quadcopter in question would be best suited to your school hall and as you fly the schools dji you could sweet talk the head into allowing you to practice there!

P.S blowing bubbles is for hammers fans and toddlers!

Sorry for the toddler part there fella! My wife just read the post and gave me a clip round the ear and told me not to be an arse! They sell them at my local hobby store and I'll happily go down to see them about this and get his advice. Simon tooley from Britain's got talent fame!

Sorry for the toddler part there fella! My wife just read the post and gave me a clip round the ear and told me not to be an arse! They sell them at my local hobby store and I'll happily go down to see them about this and get his advice. Simon tooley from Britain's got talent fame!

Thanks for your help, don't worry about the joke, you can tell your wife that i actually found it quite funny! At the moment it looks like i will be buying it having read some reviews and watched some videos on it. The only thing that will stop is a bad experience with one which is why asked on here as well.

Ben.

Hello Ben. 

how do you find flying the phantom. are you still itchy fingered, or have you worked out the slow and gentle touch

has an even better feel. 

now i bet when they get that phantom out your all a glee , and i am right am i not ? 

if this is the case its time you as a pilot stepped away from the toys and experiance 

a larger machine. we tell most people a hubsan or a little baby quad because, they are cheap and they well

lets just say kinda bounce of things. fun but becomes boring.

being a young mind your are always looking to learn and hone skills for later in life. its the same as RC

as you grow up your choices become more open, toy grade becomes hobby grade and not far after its prosumer grade ( its what i would call the very top end dji ).

Now owning a larger quad does have some rules, as it is more adultfied ( geared towards an older pilot ) it becomes a little more technical.

but there raise in price is still there, so my advice would be this. 

keep with your hubsan as a skirtingboard skimmer , its going to still teach you control and fine control stick shifts,

keep up flying the schools DJI PV2 ( this more so when your able to, a bigger drone flys very differnet to a skirtingboard skimmer.

use the time learning to boost your pocket money - savings pot in time, and its takes some time to.  but you could save enough to have your very own

hobby-prosumer grade quadcopter/drone.

dont see my advice as a put off, its more a hey buddy your doing very well and should keep at it, but have that little savings pot running for when your ready to make that huge leap

from toy grade to a more hands on hobby graded machine. the little drones are easy to fix and cheap, but a larger drone does require more payout on broken parts and repair.

Hello Ben. 

how do you find flying the phantom. are you still itchy fingered, or have you worked out the slow and gentle touch

has an even better feel. 

now i bet when they get that phantom out your all a glee , and i am right am i not ? 

if this is the case its time you as a pilot stepped away from the toys and experiance 

a larger machine. we tell most people a hubsan or a little baby quad because, they are cheap and they well

lets just say kinda bounce of things. fun but becomes boring.

being a young mind your are always looking to learn and hone skills for later in life. its the same as RC

as you grow up your choices become more open, toy grade becomes hobby grade and not far after its prosumer grade ( its what i would call the very top end dji ).

Now owning a larger quad does have some rules, as it is more adultfied ( geared towards an older pilot ) it becomes a little more technical.

but there raise in price is still there, so my advice would be this. 

keep with your hubsan as a skirtingboard skimmer , its going to still teach you control and fine control stick shifts,

keep up flying the schools DJI PV2 ( this more so when your able to, a bigger drone flys very differnet to a skirtingboard skimmer.

use the time learning to boost your pocket money - savings pot in time, and its takes some time to.  but you could save enough to have your very own

hobby-prosumer grade quadcopter/drone.

dont see my advice as a put off, its more a hey buddy your doing very well and should keep at it, but have that little savings pot running for when your ready to make that huge leap

from toy grade to a more hands on hobby graded machine. the little drones are easy to fix and cheap, but a larger drone does require more payout on broken parts and repair.

Thanks for the help.

I do love flying the Phantom, although its not as exciting as some of the smaller quads I've flown. I enjoy doing flips and other aerobatic maneuvers with the smaller ones and just use the phantom to line up shots for the school newsletter. I agree with you that the hubsan is a bit toy grade but the Ares looks more hobby grade. Anyway im just using this for fun flying and may never even buy the optional camera or FPV kit.

Ben.