• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Furball's CC01 Build

Successful field test! It works great and the 55 turn motor with Maverick ESC seems to be a great combo.

I might still move the battery to try and improve the angle it rolls over at, but its still good as-is :)

Prl0GSQ.jpg

Edited by TurboFurball
  • Like 1

To-do list for the LSTR comp on the 29th - ally front bumper with towing point, rear tow point, luggage rack on the back for the waffle boards and tow rope.

Test driving might show something up, too, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

Ahhhh, lstr, that's dreadys crew is it not? Tell him I said hi and not forgotten him :good:

• Like 1

Well, went for a trek through the woods today, did ok but had a couple of big tumbles that have caused problems with the OE steering linkages :(  So, looks like I'll have to come up with a solution to get the alloy set fixed and installed sooner than I'd hoped.

Apart from that it's been an absolute beast on thick layers of mulching dry leaves, sometimes sinking way over the height of the wheels but still plowing along, through, and over!  With a bit of practice I'm now finding the shortcomings of having IFS when tackling large obstacles, but where there's a will there's a way :)

ze4Qy9n.jpg

Right, the alloy steering is back on after a bit of modification - the top to bottom rod part was about 1.5mm too short.

Lessons learned -

1: Chinese made parts might look nice, but they can be all kinds of not right so check that things line up carefully. 

2: Do not try to assemble small parts that need careful fitting while ill.

3: Be more patent, it's better to make everything work smoothly with more work than to try and just force it together with brute force.

4: Tamiya tie rods might look basic, but they work just fine.

Finally a 100% successful test - 2 hours of diggling over mud, roots, logs, mulchy leaves, and moss.  Lots of tumbles, lots of self-righting with the throttle, and nothings broken, bent, or loose :)  Ready for the comp tomorrow, if the weather holds.

DsOu2ACh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after the run above I went out for a quick spin with a friend, and had an issue with a push-fit alloy ball joint coming apart on one of the top suspension links at the front.

It won't be coming out again, as it's now pushed in place with epoxy!  So of course I spent some of this afternoon giving the Unimog a hard time to see if the other side would come off too ...

Hp6RiKWh.jpg

• 1 month later...

Snapped the secondary steering linkage boss off the chassis after a bit of a tumble (it had already cracked, I suspect it's quite an old chassis so might be a bit brittle).  Can't just bolt through the hole as there's a gear right on the other side, so epoxied up the hole and made a 2mm ally strap across instead - not a super slick solution, bit its nice and strong :)

Also, added the adjustable top wishbones (in blue, they were on sale) and found out why the ally ones kept popping apart - there wasn't enough range of movement for the shocks to fully extend before!  It's gained quite a lot of flex as a result, I'm pleased to say :thumbsup:

2cKJcS9l.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...