• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

Well took the yeti out for its maiden voyage at lunch time, very pleased with it all, will do after run checks tonight but one immediate mod is zombis crud guard its an absolute must!

Opened up the front and rear cases tonight a applied marine grease just awaiting the rubber sheet now for the crud gard.

• Like 1

:errok: modelsport uk have updated their website now saying the kit is not due until 24th feb pushed back from the 14th they previously listed

Edited by philbr

Nice, very snazzy :)

What's the big blob of grease in the bottom right corner about? Someone's put too much grease in his diff box methinks!

Dam was hoping you wouldn't see that!

Haha! :yucky:

You don't need to pack it in like that, you just need a nice coating on the ring gear.

Didn't pack it in got a pea sized blob on the bearing and when i replaced the cover it squeeze out the screw hole lol.

Well went out for another crack yesterday with a new 5000 mah lipo to see how it went, very please with the run times however i seem to have a very annoying sqeek from a bearing, think it's from front left corner but the noise is being transmitted all over the drive train so ill start by stripping of the front end and bench testing each part until I can track the offending bearing, I plan to use marine grease on all the bearings as i go is this a good idea or is there a better grease to use?

It's rather a bad idea to use grease on your bearings unless they're sealed away from dirt. Grease is a dirt magnet, and once it starts to accumulate and grind away on the moving parts you'll do more bad than good.

The only thing I ever use on my bearings is a very light oil (duck oil for myself, but 3-in-1 will probaby do) and even then use it sparingly. Apply it before and after a run as required, but only if the bearing is clean. If it's mucky, again you'll just create a meat grinder with extra crunchy goodness.

It's rather a bad idea to use grease on your bearings unless they're sealed away from dirt. Grease is a dirt magnet, and once it starts to accumulate and grind away on the moving parts you'll do more bad than good.

The only thing I ever use on my bearings is a very light oil (duck oil for myself, but 3-in-1 will probaby do) and even then use it sparingly. Apply it before and after a run as required, but only if the bearing is clean. If it's mucky, again you'll just create a meat grinder with extra crunchy goodness.

Cheers chap wd40 was used after the run had read on other threads about packing the bearings with grease wont do that now. I think it might be that rogue blob of grease that i got on the front gearbox that you kindly drew my attention to lol although i cleaned it i wonder if crap has stuck to the film left, will have a closer look at that later, but as i said it did sound as if it was a dry wheel bearing.

Will silcon lube the plastics, will probably use 3 in 1 oil on bearings, one thing i couldnt see on your thread did you strip and marine grease the main hi lo gearbox? Edited by shaunm

I don't use the usual WD-40 as it's too greasy. The above is the silicone stuff.

And yes, I have had the transmission and transfer case open several times for a greasing.  Just as you can see on my diff gears, I use not too much and not too little, and the same applies to the gears in the tranny.

This bit mentions it in passing, but whereas i said I packed it full of grease, that was actually a mistake.  I had way too much in the transfer case and it spooged out of the joins in the case on my last trail day. So I had it all open again the other night, cleaned it, and applied a modest amount.  Runs perfectly now.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/199518-zombis-axial-yeti/?p=2111973

Edited by Zombi