• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

how reliable are ebay flight controls?

Ninja_Maple

It is my understanding that most of the cheaper flight controllers (Naza,Acro,CC3D etc) are all open source.

Basically you will find all sorts of variations of each of them,there is no one individual manufacturer.

Maybe one is better and more popular than the others but there isn't an "official" version as far as I know.

• Like 1

Hi ninja Maple and a late welcome to the quadcopter world

the only difference in truth. the parts used inside and the software code that

is loaded into it. 

lets take the cheaper ones you link, naze32 is a popular board with acro pilots. 

this all started with a Chap called Warthox he to me is the godfather of acro quads.

and his video's had shown a quadcopter doing flips and barrel rolls, everyone

and i mean everyone wanted to fly like the Warthox.

at first we had controllers that came from a nintendo game system the Wii.

the numbchuck and little thumb controller had gyros and accelometer fitted inside.

and a arduino board could control them. quadcopters were born ( well the brains for them)

Not much has changed really since then, but small adjustments made.

the gps add on was the killer mode. having a quad that would come back home

or stay in one place without constant sticks management .

next came the FPV guys, and the teamblacksheep crew. stunning video footage that not many people get to

see as hobbyists was thrust into our sweaty palms, controller now gained a multitude of options.

the

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 2

Hi ninja Maple and a late welcome to the quadcopter world

the only difference in truth. the parts used inside and the software code that

is loaded into it. 

lets take the cheaper ones you link, naze32 is a popular board with acro pilots. 

this all started with a Chap called Warthox he to me is the godfather of acro quads.

and his video's had shown a quadcopter doing flips and barrel rolls, everyone

and i mean everyone wanted to fly like the Warthox.

at first we had controllers that came from a nintendo game system the Wii.

the numbchuck and little thumb controller had gyros and accelometer fitted inside.

and a arduino board could control them. quadcopters were born ( well the brains for them)

Not much has changed really since then, but small adjustments made.

the gps add on was the killer mode. having a quad that would come back home

or stay in one place without constant sticks management .

next came the FPV guys, and the teamblacksheep crew. stunning video footage that not many people get to

see as hobbyists was thrust into our sweaty palms, controller now gained a multitude of options.

the

i would go with something like a KK2. no gps , no compass, no barometer . means less stuff to worry about

but your do have a very limited quad in the way you can upgrade it. ( it can still use servos to work a gimbal )

multiwii -megapirateng - ardupilot and the likes are the upgrade version of a KK2, no lcd screen unless you add it yourself

no gps unless you buy it with a gps dongle or buy a gps dongle (gps normaly can come with a compass built into it.)

you get more modes and settings. but with that come more learning. 

most have gone straight from a kk2 and right into a naza lite. or they stepped into the ardupilot/megapirateng world

the kk2 is your entry to the quad building world for a easy brain to use.

ardupilot-megapirate are a upgrade of a kk2's simple design stuffing more into the brain.

DJI and the likes are the fancy version of the megapirate and aruipilot but come with less hands on setting up