• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking to get my first nitro buggy in a long time - Need a little help

aaronpaulsmith

Hi Everyone

This is my first post so please bear with me if I am asking any really basic questions - I have looked through previous posts and I still think I need some direct help.

Okay so i'm looking at getting my first car in twenty years at some point this year - probably at the beginning of the summer.

I previously owned a a Tamiya Thunder Shot and would now like to make the upgrade to a nitro buggy - most likely will be used for bashing but haven't ruled out any racing as yet.

I'm planning on getting a

Kyosho MP9 TK13 Readyset - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-inferno-mp9-tki3-readyset/rc-car-products/379689

I was thinking of getting the Kyosho

MP9e TKI Brushless RTR - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-mp9e-tki-1-8th-brushless-electric-rtr-buggy/rc-car-products/384528

But it seems as though electric is the expensive way to go, I really want to be able to spend at least a hour at a time using my buggy maybe even longer and it seems to me to have enough batteries to hand is going to cost me a arm and a leg compared to the price of nitro fuel to keep me going for that length of time?

So I think it will be the nitro for me.

Modelsport do a package for this car - http://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-inferno-mp9-tki3-readyset/rc-car-products/379689

Would you guys recommend those extras or go with something different?

What would else do you think I would need for maintenance to keep the engine - shocks etc in best possible condition - I would like to make sure I get everything I need to ensure I keep the car in best possible condition and increase its longevity.

Budget is

Kyosho are great cars idk about that model but sometimes spares are hard to find what about the losi 8 2.0 rtr

http://www.speedymodels.com/team-losi-8ight-20-nitro-buggy-rtr-with-spektrum-dx3s-1845-p.asp

It comes with a spectrum dx3s radio.

I think the radio with the kyosho is the same as a carson reflex pro2 lcd, i had one and it broke within 5min i returned it and thankfully they had no stock left so refunded me the

Edited by RCbutcher

Thanks for the reply, i'll take a look at your suggestions - I think I will be doing some sort of racing though in the future

Kyosho are great cars idk about that model but sometimes spares are hard to find what about the losi 8 2.0 rtr

http://www.speedymodels.com/team-losi-8ight-20-nitro-buggy-rtr-with-spektrum-dx3s-1845-p.asp

It comes with a spectrum dx3s radio.

I think the radio with the kyosho is the same as a carson reflex pro2 lcd, i had one and it broke within 5min i returned it and thankfully they had no stock left so refunded me the

To be honest, it totally depends on what you want from it.  What I mean is, are you comfortable at building your own kit from scratch?  Or would it have to be an RTR?

I have done both, started with an RTR, and soon came to realise that I should of gone for a kit.  Servo failures etc, rubbish tyres.

A kit will cost you more when complete but you get to chose your own servo's, engine, pipe, tyres etc..

Don't be afraid to buy a kit roller 2nd hand, if you bide your time you will find a minter, ok it's not brand new BUT it will still come in a box for you to open lol..

That Kyosho does look like a nice package for the money, just look at spares etc and see how available they are.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Ideally I would like a kit, I love building things and I built my last car a long long time ago. It's just it will end up a fair bit more expensive after purchasing all the bits and pieces.

I like upgrading to make things better so I guess if bought at RTR and get tempted by upgrades I'll probably regret going for the easy option and spending even more money?

Tough decisions ahead!

Thanks for your reply, very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally I would like a kit, I love building things and I built my last car a long long time ago. It's just it will end up a fair bit more expensive after purchasing all the bits and pieces.

I like upgrading to make things better so I guess if bought at RTR and get tempted by upgrades I'll probably regret going for the easy option and spending even more money?

Tough decisions ahead!

Thanks for your reply, very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say then defo go the kit route.

There are some things you get with the kit that you don't RTR, like the quality of the shock towers and chassis, most RTR you'll find are stamped alloy/metal and the kits come with better grade materials that are machined.

If you go RTR and upgrade to kit specs you will spend a fortune!

I should know, been there and got the bank balance to prove it lol.  (well, lack of a bank balance)

Hi and yer I got it from herts rc in ware buddy very very good car the mugen just seems to be the car for me as I said had the 6 6r 7 and now 7r and my good :) so good build quality I know it's not the cheapest but I'm sure it's the best

Hi and yer I got it from herts rc in ware buddy very very good car the mugen just seems to be the car for me as I said had the 6 6r 7 and now 7r and my good :) so good build quality I know it's not the cheapest but I'm sure it's the best

Hi smithy,

I race at herts nitro, I run a 6r at the moment and got a 7r for when the weather gets a little better!

What engine do you run in your 7r?

In my experience building a racing buggy isn't cheap my new car has cost nearly 1k...

My mbx6r is for sale in the for sale section if a racing buggy is what the OP is after?

Cheer!