• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mini 8 Motor

Sharkfat78

I need to get a new motor for my Mini 8ight. A mate drove it into a pool on the beach and despite my best efforts the motor is fubar.

I've done a search but with so many suggestions I'm even more confused. I'd just like a brushless motor that just drops straight in, and as cheap as possible. Could anyone suggest one that'll be suitable please?

ESC seems to be ok as the steering works fine.

Thanks

No worries. I'll have a look on ebay or maplins.

I'm also trying to get replacement bearings for the hubs but I have no idea what size they are. I've measured them with a vernier but either my measuring is crap (likely) or they're some real stupid size  :doh:

Its a lot cheaper to buy the bearing set. I went to the local bearing man and for just 4 large wheel bearings and 4 small wheel bearings it came to

Is this one better than the stock one?

I'm getting a mini 8t in a few days and am looking for a souped up motor as people on here seem to advise that the stock one is a shade under powered...

Hi Dunc,

Have a look at the KV rating. KV is how many revolutions the motor will turn for every volt of power. I don't know what the stock motor is for that model but its likely noted on the can or manual. The higher the KV the faster the motor!

The Orion micros come in different KV. if you using the stock Losi ESC i would stick to around sameish KV if possible or it may not handle a really fast motor and burn out!

I went with the Hobbywing one (I'd ordered before you guys posted) and it seems to do the job nicely. I think the stock motor is 4200kv or around that. The new one I have is 4500kv so should be a tad quicker than the stock one.

I also soldered the two switch wires together as advised so I did away with the switch. Soon as I get some cash I'm gonna hit The Toyz up and get some upgrades :D