• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

lrp 28 issues

ali123

y'all reet people, first post on here like so be kind ;)

basically had this savage 25 for quite a number of years and had put an lrp 28 spec 3 lump in, messed about with it, broke it and it had been sat in the shed for the best part of atleast 5 years now maybe?

either way pulled it out the other week bought all the necessary bits to get it going, alot of swearing etc and it eventually started.
i set it  back to factory settings and went from there but its a freakin' nightmare is this thing, cant remember if it was that bad before it got stored away or not!

my problem is once its started and if i cut it out or it cuts out its self it does not like to start! now i know if its warm and it struggles to start thats poiinting towards compression, but thing is like what happened tonight it started up instantly but cut out maybe 3/4 seconds later and thats it , it wasnt having any of it! its right on the brink of wanting to start and it might cough like its about to go but it just doesnt.

it seems to have decent enough compression when cold but even when hot and you turn the flywheels still seems to have decent compression like but meh, who knows!

any help would be much appreciated !
cheers

Go through all the other checks with it first, blockages , leaks , plugs , bearings ect. Then tuning if nothing helps. Youve had it 5yrs so try to repinch it with some heavy duty jubilee clips or something else that's better. I read jubilee clips dont put the symmetrical pressure on you want. But theres a way to pinch it surley.

If that doesn't work its new engine time idk what there like but im looking at getting a trackstar engine from hobbyking something to just thrash until i get an lrp myself

Ther just

If you have reasonable resistance at TDC at cold and warm when turning flywheel, then sounds like it should be OK. 

Fresh fuel? 25%? 

Check glow plug condition, try new glow plug.

Check idle gap about 1mm.

Lean LSN half turn from factory, 3.75 turns setting. I think mines about 2.75 turns out.

Lean HSN half turn.

If still no joy,take head off to check piston/sleeve condition.

Reseal backplate and carb.

Check clutch bell freely spins/shoe condition/spring resustance

Keep trying!

My first thought was gummed up carb, after 5 years any remaining fuel left in the carb would be well and truly gummed up! I would take the HSN out and the LSN and leave the carb and needles soaking in some fresh nitro fuel for a while and then blow it all out,refit needles and reset to factory settings and tune from there once running.

I also would have checked the engine bearings before trying to start as any loose rust would quickly ruin the piston and liner.