• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FeedTheInferno's Nissan Skyline R33 GTR project

Feedtheinferno

Another little funny story (whilst we wait for the rust pictures to appear) 

On the way to a meeting yesterday morning before I took the car to the body-shop there was a Corsa in front of me in a line of traffic, waiting for a set of lights to change. Again full of guys, a bit younger this time but on the back of the car was a RIP Paul Walker sticker so I imagine they liked the F&F movies, they also hadn't looked in their mirrors once so I know they hadn't seen me.

So as we pulled away at the lights it splits into 3 lanes from a 30 to a national limit so I overtook them and their jaws dropped, I wasn't even going fast but it's just the looks on their faces that made me laugh :)

• Like 1

Appreciation from fellow enthusiasts, possibly.

Driving through Brum years ago, when I had a Jag, in the queues on the M6 (normal!!) a truck alongside honked his horn.

I thought, oh no, what's this one about, but wound down the window (OK, powered ...) and he handed the then-girlfriend a Jaguar magazine!!

Al.

Totally agree, it was nice to see people who really love the car, see something that is frankly quite rare to see on the road and then appreciate it.

It's funny my wife said when I got the car:-

"You had better not be buying this car to get lots of attention from Women"

To which I laughed at her and said that when it comes to cars, guys like to show off to other guys about them. I still don' think she believes me :D

Update from the garage:-

Jay is making great progress Nick, found a previous repair which we believe was the reason your boot was leaking buddy and hence the rusted holes. Have lots of good pics of the work in progress for you! ;):)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry everyone I actually have the car back now. 

The bodyshop that did the work, as promised took lots of pictures but as they are so busy haven't been able to send me any of them yet so I don't have any for you all. But I will get them up as soon as I do as the work they have done is brilliant!

Now in regards to the boot, they have made it look better than brand new and assure me that rust will not be issue around that area anymore, which leads to another problem, the leak they thought they had sorted actually hasn't been. The day after I collected it, it rained very hard and the boot filled with water, now this made me both sad and happy. Sad because it was leaking after treatment that was meant to stop it and happy because it was only a day after I picked it up meaning I could get it sorted asap.

A quick text and Bobby was very apologetic and is picking up the car this week to have a second stab at the boot that I am sure he will sort :)

But in the mean time I have been taking the dash and door cards out to replace the terrible and broken speakers and awful head-unit.

Although I am unsure what speakers to fit now if anyone could give me a suggestion? I wouldn't want to cut the doors so co-ax speakers is a must.

Sorry everyone I actually have the car back now.

The bodyshop that did the work, as promised took lots of pictures but as they are so busy haven't been able to send me any of them yet so I don't have any for you all. But I will get them up as soon as I do as the work they have done is brilliant!

Now in regards to the boot, they have made it look better than brand new and assure me that rust will not be issue around that area anymore, which leads to another problem, the leak they thought they had sorted actually hasn't been. The day after I collected it, it rained very hard and the boot filled with water, now this made me both sad and happy. Sad because it was leaking after treatment that was meant to stop it and happy because it was only a day after I picked it up meaning I could get it sorted asap.

A quick text and Bobby was very apologetic and is picking up the car this week to have a second stab at the boot that I am sure he will sort :)

But in the mean time I have been taking the dash and door cards out to replace the terrible and broken speakers and awful head-unit.

Although I am unsure what speakers to fit now if anyone could give me a suggestion? I wouldn't want to cut the doors so co-ax speakers is a must.

Take the rear lights out and put tiger seal in place of the old seal its a common leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the rear lights out and put tiger seal in place of the old seal its a common leak

Thanks bud but that's been done, the leak is actually more unusual. A run of water coming from the right rear suspension strut and pooling at the top right of the boot, nowhere near the lights.

There's a gasket on top of the strut too, chances are it's been left off at some point when the suspension has been replaced, or it could be leaking from the guttering where the window seals fit and following something down into the boot

That would make more sense, in regards to a gasket, as Bobby has completely re-done the channel/guttering as that was sealed badly and rusted, so it can't be that so I would hedge my bets it the gasket.

However, if its a gasket at the top of the strut, how is water when it rains getting to the top in the first place? As its when the car is stationary it pools. I have a photo of the drip somewhere I will upload it.

Ok so probably not from just driving it, could be rear 1/4 glass leaking rear screen leaking anything like that, strip the interior out and get someone to spray the car with water while your inside looking for leaks

Well it's going back to Bob this coming week so I will suggest those too him. I didn't even think about the rear 1/4 glass leaking, the rear glass itself I had a new seal put on it 2 days after buying the car so I know that's perfect now, but that 1/4 has got me thinking! :)

Well it's going back to Bob this coming week so I will suggest those too him. I didn't even think about the rear 1/4 glass leaking, the rear glass itself I had a new seal put on it 2 days after buying the car so I know that's perfect now, but that 1/4 has got me thinking! :)

Also talking about stripping the interior I need to get the back seats out of the car soon to replace the rear speakers as the previous owner blew them and just left them in there so actually getting some out of the rear would be nice but I hear the rear seats are tricky to remove,

Tbh, I'm surprised they haven't had someone in the boot whilst spraying from the o/s. Common practice for trying to isolate leak sources (as opposed to leek sauces, for which a chef is possibly better suited).

That's the thing, it's not so much the boot itself that's leaking its more the rear part of the car that's leaking into the boot, they said they were testing it for leaks for the entire process and nothing came up, but the day after I picked it up there was very heavy rain so they probably didn't put enough water over it. No issue though as it's going back soon :)

Nice job.

I lost the plot a bit earlier, was that from the assumed window leak, or is the battery at the back, and its through a bit of battery acid from somewhere?

For water, that should have taken quite a long time and should have been noticed by previous owners ....

Looks good now 'though.

Al.

Midnight purple those plastic pipes under the hood pull that body color into the bay itself ?

she would look awesome with its original GTR rim set , and gotta say for age and likes shes not a bad scene on rust.

but not being there at all is 100 fold better. 

the rail lifter kit for the TT's will work well with that ace filter tucked up in that front quarter just right.

radio system ........ no engine bay mic with a 300amp booster leading into the cabin so you can hear her purring.

its the only music that should be heard in a classic 33

there was 9,871  Standard cars made

6,551 V-spec cars made 

and a total 16,400 cars made inc the n1 and the LM models. 

and the 33 spawned the 400R to ( just uprated parts n better oil pump n cooling)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Sadly the previous owner really didn't seem like he cared so I doubt if he ever noticed it at all.

Also no Tami you are correct, compared to a lot of old 33's the majority of the extra rust you see in those pictures is just surface and can be blasted and painted so it wouldn't be a issue. 

Also I am not sure what you mean by, as in what are you referring too? :) :-

Midnight purple those plastic pipes under the hood pull that body color into the bay itself ?

Edited by Feedtheinferno