• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Got my first Crawler...

nr73

Yeah I might change those. I just got fed up with losing body clips all the time in grass when doing battery changes, so I decided to go hi-viz :D

More impromptu tweaking tonight... Have relocated the ESC underneath the plastic tray, and rerouted the wiring accordingly. Oddly enough, it now seems to have almost perfectly even balance left/right now despite a 3800mah NiMH battery fitted and the ESC being more on the battery side than the motor side. Next step will be the addition of a lipo monitor and a smaller lighter lipo battery across the front of the tray. Front/rear balance is slightly front heavy which is fine.

The new truck body might need trimming though as the tyres hit the corners of each bumper on full articulation.

I've decided enough is enough with the trigger glitch, is only a matter of time before it strips a great somewhere with it jumping into reverse so violently, so I'm going to replace the TX with a FlySky as recommended here.

Still super-happy with this truck though, it's incredible what obstacles it will make it over once you do a few mods and learn how to drive it. I took it around the forest the other night and it romped up a 45 degree partly muddy slope. Drove it around unsighted at the top of the plateau, where it just blitzed over forest roots, fallen brush and whatever else was up there, then back down the steepest bit I could see. Absolutely mint :)

What I need now is access to somewhere rocky so I can give it a proper testing. Anyone know anywhere decent for rock crawling in the Northwest (Preston area)?

My son is off his feet having sustained a really nasty leg break (surgery and pins)

He was looking at a drift car and changed his mind, so I have ordered him a Maverick WP model from Modelsports

Ordered extra battery back and a charger combo also

So I will get to try his out before I buy one ;)

Now its out to get some rocks to build a course on the decked patio so that'll keep me busy

Will get him a Proline body for it later and get some advice how to lower it but will let him loose and have some fun first 

• Like 1

Half the fun is doing the mods and seeing it get better and better. As they come they're too tall and top heavy. I would do wheel weights first, that made the biggest difference.

I'm sure your son will have lots of fun with it, and I hope he recovers well from what sounds like a very painful experience.

PS good luck sourcing those rocks, I acquired some in a lay-by near a quarry!! I think my car was sitting on the bumpstops on the way home with all that weight in the boot!!

Edited by Neil Robinson

Half the fun is doing the mods and seeing it get better and better. As they come they're too tall and top heavy. I would do wheel weights first, that made the biggest difference.

I'm sure your son will have lots of fun with it, and I hope he recovers well from what sounds like a very painful experience.

PS good luck sourcing those rocks, I acquired some in a lay-by near a quarry!! I think my car was sitting on the bumpstops on the way home with all that weight in the boot!!

Thanks mate hes very active and hates being laid up

Were just off to sand bay in weston to 'aquire' some rocks and fill the volvo estate ;)

• Like 1

Scout for my son just arrived via DPD Neil so will using your suspension tweak thread to set it up with him - should be good  :thumbsup:

Glad it's arrived  :thumbsup:

My suspension tweaks are a work-in-progress to find out what works, trying a softer setup at the moment by removing the black circlips around each shock (but not the black shock on rear left).  The fuel tube is still in the shocks though and that lowers matters enough to make a difference. 

The best thing you can do out of the box is get some weight around each wheel, more in the front.  Lead adhesive tape 22mm fits perfectly - I used about 1.5 metres on each front and .75 metre on the each rear.

• Like 1

Glad it's arrived  :thumbsup:

My suspension tweaks are a work-in-progress to find out what works, trying a softer setup at the moment by removing the black circlips around each shock (but not the black shock on rear left).  The fuel tube is still in the shocks though and that lowers matters enough to make a difference. 

The best thing you can do out of the box is get some weight around each wheel, more in the front.  Lead adhesive tape 22mm fits perfectly - I used about 1.5 metres on each front and .75 metre on the each rear.

Any pics of how the shocks look now Neil ?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Made a few more changes over the last few days...my missus is wondering why the constant tinkering!

First off I've reversed the lower links on the front so the angle is more inboard rather than at the wheel side. I just think it will work better that way and help clearance. I removed the rear links and put the same bend in those too, and refitted the same way. Seems to sit a bit lower as a result. I've then made up a small battery tray that sits behind the servo and will hold these new lipo's that I bought (1300 and 1800 to see which fit best). It now goes almost vertical before it will roll over backwards, on the flat at any rate. Still waiting of my LVA being delivered so I can't really run it on the lipo's yet. Hopefully I'll get it out on my new found playground to see if it's any improvement, but the lipo weighs next to nothing compared to the 3800mah NiMh I was using so the COG must be drastically different now.

The bent suspension links at the rear do help, don't know why they aren't fitted as standard.

Bought some Turnigy Nano-Tech 2200 2s LiPos that are really small. HobbyKing lists them as 2200mah Traxxas and they are quite a bit shorter than the regular 2200s. 87mm x 34mm x 19mm. So they would fit a Scout.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__20390__Turnigy_nano_tech_2200mah_2S_40_80C_Lipo_Pack_TRA2820_Traxxas_1_16_models_.html

John

Edited by johninderby

Gave it a run last night to see if the links were an improvement and it would seem that yes they are. Then the drivetrain started playing up. Front wheels would stay still for a second while the rears spun then they would kick in but without much power.

Decided to strip the drivetrain and check it out. It had a 'moment' at the weekend during some serious climbing where it rolled end over end down a 20' rock and gravel slope. Then it lost drive at the bottom. I had to power it off and run it along the ground by hand to free the drivetrain up but I couldn't say what the problem was.

Front diff turned out ok and is now packed with even more grease, likewise the rear, all mint. Stripped the transfer box and that too seemed ok, now packed up with more grease too. Not sure if I had over tightened the spur gear but I reset that and the pinion clearance. In the end all I can think was that both driveshafts grub screws had started to loosen and that was somehow putting them in a state where they were fighting each other, and last night allowing the front shaft to spin.

Back together now and all seems well, I found a nice rocky area nearby that I can use for a playground so it will get a proper run at the weekend.

LVA still hasn't turned up so although I've got my lipo's I can't really use them yet!

where the links easy to bend

and is there a method to do it

cheers shaun

Easy enough.

Remove them then tape both sides where you want the bend to be.

Stick em in a vice (do one at a time)

Whack em with a rubber mallet to achieve desired bend angle. I did them the same angle as the front.

Eyeball one side against the other to get the same bend angle

There is some adjustment possible with the plastic end pieces, you can just rotate those once done to get them both in line with the bend.

Sorted!

Well finally my cheapie low voltage alarms arrived and I was able to put the Scout through its paces in the garden assault course. Initial impressions are good. It was able to get over some quite challenging obstacles I set up the other day with relative ease, whereas before with the NiMH stick bungee'd in place between the front wheels it wasn't having any of it.

I think I'll make a lipo battery mount v2.0, perhaps something out of aluminium sheet that wraps around the front of the battery. I've been reading about Lipo's and it seems they don't take kindly to being knocked or dented which would be entirely possible with a soft pack lipo between the front wheels. Only a matter of time before it hits a sharp rock on an approach or a drop.

Very chuffed, the way this little puppy climbs now compared to out of the box is like night and day.

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I made any changes to the scout, it didn't get any use after I bought a savage flux... then a savage xs ....then built a lunch box...

As I started to get withdrawals recently I decided to sort the scout out. I lowered the body because I was never happy with the way it sat, and that meant a four bit of trimming around the arches. Then I decided it was time to move the links inboard so to do that I fabricated a couple of braces out of 6mm ally that pull the chassis in nice and tight. Next job week be to solder a dean's connector on the esc.

DSC_0104_1.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

Seems to get hung up less now because the outboard links would drag on rocks quite easily.

Edited by Neil Robinson