• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor help

stannyblade

Bought a new ESC and motor (HPI Firebolt)

When I connect it all up the ESC doesn't recognise the motor (no beeping)

If I connect my old motor the ESC works fine and if I pull the trigger there is a noise from it but nothing works.

Is there a way of testing a motor to see if it works or not?

Got a son here wanting to go back out with it and moaning like mad that his useless dad cant fix it.

Thanks

Gav

Fire bolts are pretty poor motors, I've had a couple that were just pants.

As they are a sealed can, if it doesn't work it's basically knackered. You can try giving it a quick tap just in case the brushes aren't sitting on the comm properly, or stick a multi meter on the wires to see if you have continuity (if not then either the brushes of the windings are at fault), but that is about it.

A lot of brushed ESC's make a tone by 'ringing' the motor on start up. If it works on the old motor but not the new one, there's your answer.

What ESC is it?

Edited by tonysmini

On some ESC's it is. Try it with a Tamiya ESC. Motor on it will chime, no motor and it won't make a sound.

I'm not referring to the whine on part throttle, (most do that), they beep as part of the set up menus. On the teu-101 it beeps when the ESC doesn't see a signal from the TX.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/radio-control-electronics-28000/esc-teu-101bk-45029

Bottom of the first page.

Edited by tonysmini