• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Radio recommendations for Tamiya Lunchbox

mattie

Hi all

After I bored her silly with reminiscences about my old radio control cars, the missus got me a re-released Lunchbox kit for my birthday.  I've dug out my knackered old thundershot with a view to reusing the radio gear and motor, but after plugging it all in it doesn't seem too happy.

The kit came with an ESC, and I'm trying to follow the instructions for calibrating it but it doesn't respond as per the instructions - the instructions state that the LED will blink once, and I need to go through a series of actions with the transmitter throttle whilst pressing the button on the ESC.  It doesn't respond to any such presses.  Also the steering servo is pretty listless and can barely turn the wheels.  I tried the spare servo (the thundershot had a mech speed controller so it used 2 servos) and it barely responds.

Given it's all around 20 years old I'm not surprised it's knackered.

Firstly, does anyone know how to check if the radio gear is truly beyond repair?  I'm afraid I've no spare gear to swap out to test.  Could I replace the receiver and the servo and keep the current handset (I actually quite like it!)  If this is an option, what gear should I consider?

If consensus is that it's better just to replace the entire kit, does anyone have any recommendations for suitable replacement set?  I'm going to use this for little more than blasting round the garden, so something similar to the current Acoms gear would be ideal.  I see what looks to be a more modern version of my old boxy Acoms for

Edited by mattie

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/155742-tamiya-lunchboxmidnight-pumpkin-owners-club/

Welcome

Have a read through that thread gives an idea as to what owners are running these days.

As for radio gear, ditch the old crystal set up and get a 2.4ghz set up, I personally recommend the flysky gt3b, available for around thirty quid on eBay. 10 model memory, easy to set up, works well.

For a steering servo, something by hitec should be fine, and not expensive. Saying that, I run vintage futaba in our LB's and Blackfoots without issue...

• Like 1

Looks like you have been well-advised so far. Only thing I would add is this: consider waterproofing.

With the Lunchbox, as with other monster-styled rides, there is the strong temptation to run them in mud, snow, puddles, etc. And if you equip your rig appropriately, you can do so without fear of damaging it.

For example, fit it with rubber-sealed bearings rather than metal-shielded ones. Go for a waterproof servo. (HPI make some good yet affordable ones, and the basic Alturn waterproof ballraced one is perhaps not quite as nice but is very good value.) Mtroniks make some affordable yet reliable waterproof ESCs, and you could always go for a waterproof receiver from the likes of Spektrum, or put a balloon around a non-waterproof receiver from any other manufacturer.

• Like 2

Where are you based BTW? There might be someone nearby who can help with swap-testing your old gear if you want to try to revive it. (Even if only to get your old Thundershot running again - classic Tamiyas are enjoying a resurgence, and restoration projects can be very rewarding.)

Cheers all for comments, much appreciated.  I'll wrap the receiver in a balloon (vaguely recall the Frog has a similar arrangement for its speed controller servo?), assume not a good idea to do the same with the ESC given temperatures?  I'll get a waterproof servo.

As an aside, I upgraded the thundershot to the 2 front shocks, are any of these (either front or rear) usable on the lunchbox?  I'll take a closer look when I get home tonight to see how they fit sizewise.  A bit surprised how crude the suspension on the lunchbox is!

Edited by mattie

There are proper shock options, tamiya CVA (plenty about on the bay at good money), absima, hpi etc. You will need extra spring mounts for fitting these, as they'll bolt to the underside of the chassis, through which the old suspension shaft fitted.

I recommend Timetunnel models for parts,especially these mounts, as ebayers charge ridiculous prices!

I'm running CVA's upfront and as the fifth shock, absimas at the rear, and foamed the tyres and glued them too :)

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-1-10th-truck-2.2-foam-tyre-insert-soft-/rc-car-products/16890

Great, many thanks!

First up will be (obviously) the radio and control gear, after which I'll look into getting the thundershot up and running and also *ahem* fettling the lunchbox.   

Timetunnel look a godsend, the thundershot suffered the catastrophic front mount failure and loads of bits got lost (drive cups and shafts, suspension pins etc) so really handy to find a stockist.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just to feed back, I had a quick look at the ebay flysky controllers but lead times a bit long (wouldn't deliver until august) so I bought what looked like the same controller but rebadged from a UK shop.  A bit more expensive, but the bloke in the shop kindly threw in a servo to take some of the sting out!

All together and going fine, the Parma motor sparks like a firework and smells like a house fire but I'll take it out around the park today to see if it's up to the job.  If not, I'll put the stock motor back in.

Cheers to all for advice

• Like 1

Further feedback - handles like a dog, isn't very rapid but is enormous fun!

Bit concerned about bangs and crashes - suspect the suspension pins are whacking into the chassis - so will try to dampen it all down.

As an aside, I dug out some old RC gear a mate gave me when clearing out his house years ago.  Opened up the beatties bag and found a lovely vanquish in there!  Radio gear dead - think it's transmitter at very least, and it's a similar version to my old acoms unit so I'll see if I can swap crystals once I get the old radio gear down from the loft.

One slight issue is that my mate misunderstood what threadlock was and has appeared to use superglue, which will cause some fun and games down the line.  It's got mechanical SC so may look to stick new receiver, servo and ESC in there if the current radio gear is truly dead.

(I'll start a new thread on the vanquish if there's anything to add)