• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dodgy ebayer, how should I handle it?

Baja 5b

Hi

So the picco .26 I bought of ebay turned up today, I was really looking forward to getting it in my revo and running etc since I got it at a good price and the pictured description leads you to believe the engine was in full working order. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rc-Nitro-Picco-26-Max-Engine-/291170354372?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=HTY5FAUhgbag5bRSvmRMcXRgLoE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

When it turned up the engine was kind of siezed and the the head bolts were loose indicating that the seller had recently had the head off and blatantly knew what he was selling is a turd.

What I found when I took the engine head off:

DSCF0593_zps7b1f1db5.jpgDSCF0594_zps0fa8d134.jpgDSCF0596_zpse0d9924b.jpg

What a joke the piston has severe scoring meaning it's pretty much stuck the button head is stripped and has pieces of piston stuck to it and the liner had fairly severe scoring.

Any advice as to how I should get this issue resolves is most welcome. I'm not about to be childish and shoot off a hot headed email to the guy as that would not help anything.

Thanks

just be nice when you send any email`s and always do it through ebay and if ebay do get invlolved which they will do as soon as you send any eamils just show them the pic`s your showing here and wait for any contact back but that is just a big ass joke saying An item that has been previously used. used what as a hammer

could be iffy  as he didn't say working  nor did he say not working.

Are you serious? You can't seriously be saying that you can sell something as used that's as badly damaged as this and it's fine because he didn't say it's working?

It's the sellers responsibility to make an accurate description end off.

Should have been listed as a very nice oily paper weight.

'no returns due to the hobby' is a crock of the proverbial and has no meaning in law. If you sell goods that are not as described, then E-Bay/PayPal can issue a refund, and force the seller to take the goods back.

People put it in adverts, but it's a waste of time. If you run a car/engine and it blows up....then there is doubt as to what happened. As a result of that...if I sell a used motor I will set the needles back to factory so it will run like a bag of nails until the owner tunes it.

In this case, if hte owner has not stated the engine was a non-runner for spares, then you still have a good case. Failing to describe faults is naughty when the owner clearly damaged the thing himself

Raise a dispute ASAP through E-Bay, and expect it to escalate to a PayPal claim.

EDIT: This is the definition of 'used' according to E-Bay

"Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller

It's a lesson I've learnt in the past, the less there is in the description, generally the lower expectations of quality.

However as above, by ebay's definition a "used" item should still be general good condition and working. Quite a straight forward case in theory but good luck anyway.

This is why paypal actually works for buyers, if you didn't have paypal protection, there's very little you can do. Ebay sales are classed as private sales and you don't get any of the general consumer coverage like distance selling regs etc. Ebay can't really do anything, other than limit the seller account etc, it's paypal that holds the purse strings and are the only one's with the ability to anything, outside of the courts.

Is stupid to type no returns like its an agreement in an ad because any contract is with ebay/paypal not buyer seller but too many people think typing no returns means no returns lol.

Did you get an engine mount with it looks like a part of the new era mount attached to the block. I did think it sounded like a deal to good to be true mate. I wouldn't sell mine for that price. I listed a trx3.3 with snapped rod and sleeve damage I added pics and 100% upfront of condition and how the engine acted before blowing and was happily surprised to see the bids go to 35 plus fees but the bolt ons to the engine all worked well but I still didn't expect it to go so high.

With working engines I always put a video up of it running with date shown it helps the bidding confidence no end.

Yeah the item specifics would be the case I raise its weird how he's got over 600 sales with 100% posi feedback if he knocks stuff like this out. I hope your feedback is as good it might be something ebay take into consideration.

Are you serious? You can't seriously be saying that you can sell something as used that's as badly damaged as this and it's fine because he didn't say it's working?

It's the sellers responsibility to make an accurate description end off.

Should have been listed as a very nice oily paper weight.

im not saying it.  but ebay does.  lol     lets just say it would run in that state  then it could be classed as fine by ebay.    i have been done before and ebay sided with the seller.

Yeah the item specifics would be the case I raise its weird how he's got over 600 sales with 100% posi feedback if he knocks stuff like this out. I hope your feedback is as good it might be something ebay take into consideration.

My guess is he's buying used cars and splitting htem for parts to make a profit. You pick up a bargain...you make a nice tidy sum. In this case...he's just not checked the motor before he listed it.

• Like 1

Lesson learned, hope you get it sorted.

There is no lesson to be learned, I bought something it should of been as per the description.

I have reached an amicable solution with the seller which seem to be a full re-fund but I have jet to receive the funds. It seems he bought the engine in a lot of parts he got with a revo which seems fair enough.

Problem solved thanks for all of your input :thumbsup: 

Also passed my driving test with no faults so today's a good day. 

• Like 1

Thats good to hear mate out of intrest what would you be prepared to pay for it now knowing the conditions like does the carb , back plate bearings ect look ok. I think the head looks better than mine. I have a bent fin on top few scuffs too.

Ahhhh the love/hate relationship with ebay... i recently sold a set of twin 40 carburettors on there, they charged me an extra 13 quid on my listing because i wanted to put a reserve of 400 sheets on them, they didnt sell the first time, so i paid another 15 quid to list them again, and then when they eventually did sell, they charged me 57 quid for the privilege... micheal extraction to the fullest...

It does state it is in working order under condition as per the text below.

If you don't get a refund open a "not as described" dispute, you will get a refund regardless of the return policy as clearly it is not in working condition.

"Condition:

Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller

It's nice to hear you got it sorted without needing paypal. Proves there are still some honest people out there.  :thumbsup: There are all sorts of buyers and sellers on there and if it wasn't for paypal it would be too wild west for most people.

• Like 1