• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

sky fibre help

ravenguard

hi all have a problem with sky fibre and need some help

ive upgraded sky broadband to 40mb fibre 

when i do any speed tests online with cable or wireless im getting 35mb download and 9mb upload

but when i download things from ,vuze,origin,even when i install games on xbox one im only getting 3-4mb speed.

been on to sky loads of time with no help,engineers have been and re-wired house and still the same.

im running out of ideas with sky to fix this problem 

LOL thats normal ravenguard, even on 100 down firbe its the same... You know you can get the speed at speed test has shown it, but thats only a tiny file, you wont get anything nere your projected speed on an acutal download....LOL I wish mate!

yer but if your paying for 40mb and only getting 10% thats not right 

Speed depends on the connection of the site/server your downloading from, try and download a file from one of the big names like microsoft and see what kind of speeds you get.

Also try one of the big files from here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html

Edited by stretch

indeed download speed tests measure in megabits and most browser downloads etc are measured in megabytes.

37 megabit would be about 4.6 megabyte so is in line with what your seeing.

Edited by stretch

No, just different ways of measuring the same thing. Like comparing mm with cm with metres etc. I get 75 meg, but that means 75Mbps. If I change the units to MB/s on speedtest.net then I get 9.something.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

i wrote an article on this subject a while ago, its 2 ways of measuring the same speed.

If you saw an advert 'download upto 4MB' you'd think thats rubbish but if the same advert read 'download upto 37Mbit' you'd think wow that's fast.