• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

over heating issue

hi all,

this is my first time on the forum but im kind off experienced with nitro rc cars. I recently got a thunder tiger tomahawk st from modelsport itself. the break in went perfectly without any random engine cuts. 6 tanks then I started tuning. now when the LSN is even slightly rich it just dies when I remove the glow starter. if I lean it out just slightly it runs but at a very high idle but refuses to move. at WOT it just struggles in one spot. Then I try to lean out the HSN to make it move. it starts moving but very slowly. then after about a minute of running it cuts because it gets too hot. it gets to a point priming doesn't work because the fuel reaches the inlet and evaporates at the inlet itself. if I prime a lot it enters but when I leave the exhaust it goes back to the tank. I don't know if this makes a difference but the HSN itself is very hard to turn. theres soo much resistance it feels fully closed when its flush. I also have a trophy truggy 4.6 which works perfectly. please help im soo confused :P

thanks in advance.

If the HSN is hard to turn then unscrew it all the way and pull it out....check the O ring is ok...then put it back in with a bit of lube ( bit of after run oil- a bit of nitro fuel- even a bit of spit..there are also special lubes for carbs.)

Only try to tune when the engine is warm...always start tuning from rich settings...always tune the HSN first and then the LSN...and (as above) adjust the idle screw in conjunction with the LSN.

When you say "it refuses to move"...is the engine revving up but the car wont move or the engine is not revving up?

The clutch is centrifugal, so when the engine is revving high enough the clutch should engage.

its not a clutch problem, its just that at full throttle the engine just doesn't want to rev, its idle(with a 1mm gap) is an even higher rev count than that at full throttle. it sound very boggy, so my guess was its rich but it still over heats in less than two mins and over heats like crazy :/ 

its not a clutch problem, its just that at full throttle the engine just doesn't want to rev, its idle(with a 1mm gap) is an even higher rev count than that at full throttle. it sound very boggy, so my guess was its rich but it still over heats in less than two mins and over heats like crazy :/ 

If the engine has a high idle speed with a 1mm gap then richening the LSN should fix it unless there is a fuel supply problem.

Make it rich...warm it up...set HSN first..then LSN...and adjust idle speed. If you have have any of the settings too far out then the engine will not run properly...providing there are no other potential problems.