• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

E-Start Turbo Starter Battery

Smoothybb

Bit of advice needed if possible please, (although will probably try it regardless if no one has any negative comments!!)

I've just bought a E-Start Turbo Starter from a member on here and wondering if I can use a 2 cell lipo in there without any mods or worries? It should use a 7.2v stick pack but I'm not sure I have the ability to charge non-lipos anymore, certainly not without making new leads.

So simple question, will 2s lipo be okay or will it cook it. Mainly asking if anyone has done it because I don't want the lipo (upto 8.4v) to cook the motor if it can't handle over 7.2v.

Appreciate any help from anyone that has one or just wants to make an educated (or uneducated if necessary) guess.

Don't know about the E-Start, but I know of people that have used 12v with Rotostart 2!

I think a lot might depend on loading. You might get away with light loads but a flooded engine might push the current too far.

Edited by Shudson

God only knows, was gonna rip one of the one's on me led's off as they say they can handle input upto 20v stepped down 12v???

I'm useless with electronics, why would it turn it into a hand warmer? Is it the current draw that would cook the mini resistor from the LED's?

Okay, so back to 2s then............... :whistling:

Yes, it's the wattage (volts x amps) that does it. So if you were "dropping" 5v at 3 or 4 amps, that's 20w. Most "electronic" type resistors are about 1/8 watt. To get some idea of 20w, try holding a car stop-light bulb that has been lit for a while.