• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dusty motors universal shroud or no shroud

Speeeed

Hi, 

I just brought a brand new electric car and about a week later my speed control just melted, i have a dusty motors universal shroud on my car. it had already done about 10 runs fine with it, but after the first 30secs of driving it, it suddenly stopped and started smoking loads. Any ideas of why the speed control might have melted?, my car isn't water proof, i haven't driven it in two wet conditions, some damp grass thats it, i have also driven it in some very dusty conditions, and the dust got through the shroud into my car, could that be why? can i still use the shroud, or should i not?

Thanks for any help!

Speeeed

Using a shroud means less air flow over electrics, ergo increased temps. Often worth dropping a tooth or two on the pinny to compensate for the additional heat build up?

Which ESC is it? Had you actually ever checked running temps before fitting the shroud?

I'm thinking of ditching the shroud on my slash, I'm starting to find that the temps are almost uncontrollable unless you run it with the zip open, which goes against the whole point of one!

I'd recommend getting yourself a temp gun. Even if you don't run a shroud it'll allow you to gear your car for top performance without risk of smoking the electrics.

Edited by James1986

Temp guns, about 12 quid on eBay, a worthy investment indeed...

As for the stock ESC, it's a 30a maverick, nuff said lol..I would replace with a hobbywing 45 or 60a esc, personally...available in wp or non wp flavour, easy to set up and durable :)

Leave the shroud for those going onwards to the next life ;)

Edited by Noj