• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sea water

Renaultk4j

Hello again.

This weekend I was at Southport beach with some friends, the car was running nicely and well. A friend was driving and ran into an pool of salt water, the car cut out, we got it to run again and it tried to run away and cut out again.

I've since stripped it down and it had destroyed the throttle brake servo.

That night I got it home and rinsed it with fresh water, the next morning I covered the intake and electronics and cleaned it all down, and wd40'd the lot.

It runs nicely and idles and revs right through the rev range.

My worry is that the air filter was wet, so I'm assuming the engine took water on and blew it back out when we fired it up, which is amazing if it's not damaged anything. Will the salt water potentially stay in the cylinder and ruin it? I'd hope it's cleared it, but thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks!

It's possible it didn't get past the air filter, since it's basically a sponge anyway, and instead clogged it and cut your engine. I would think if you had salt water in your cylinder you would know all about it.

Safe to say I'm never taking my Fg on a beach again, it tools weeks and a complete strip down to get rid of all the salt, rather stick to mud I think!

Sent from hendo7249 Iphone

I've ran my baja on the sand once and it didnt do anything but take AGES to clean all the sand off afterwards. I'm planning on having a quick blast on the beach this weekend weather permitting and have bought one of these to hose the car down after so get rid of the sand, or at least best part of it ;)

sprayer_zps35d65d34.jpg

Edited by Carl160180

just be careful as you never know some salt water might have got sucked past the airfilter and went into the carb and engine and if it did i you may end up with rusty crankshaft bearings so the first sqeaky/grinding noise or rough running i would running and strip both down just the head off ot the whole engine and check them  

Thanks for the replies guys! I think it'll be a long time before it goes near a beach again. I've ran it today and it runs and revs well, although I've noticed it's spitting black oil out of itself, I can't remember if it's still puffing the typical blue 2 stroke smoke or not. Is this cause for worry or not? Might have always done this and I've just noticed it now.

Thanks!

I wouldn't run mine on the beach either, as others have said, the sand literally gets in everything. I've bought two cars that were sand runners and what a pain it is cleaning it out. Twice was two times too many for me.