• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

One M5 ordered

Nitroholic

Sadly no video possible.... but it wheelies nicely until the mudguard digs in!

Have had to re-fit and modify the front 'radiator' bit of lexan. I cut out the upper section and replaced it with mesh to let air in...and keep grass out! The poor thing was full of grass. Andy the rider has a few marks of gravel rash now too :)

My youngest was along with his Stampede, and that was running a 4300Kv EZRun setup, and the M5 was able to keep up OK.

Next step will be to order a clear shell so I can paint it nicer, and I plan to make up my own exhaust. I want twin end cans and some silicon hose to look like an actual exhaust system. See what I can find in the shed :)

I've been wondering how you were getting along with the M5.

I got into RC stuff directly into bikes and nothing else, so I don't have a clue about how it is to adapt from an off road car background, but I wonder how far your expectations have been fulfilled from it so far?

*By the way...

Please don't put up big pictures of that bike. I only logged on to quickly have a peek before the (what I thought was the 8 o'clock) start of the motogp highlights and I eventually woke out of the trance at 8.20. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I've seen it before and that bike has THE most amazing paint on it that make it just look unbelivably good. Utter stroke of genius. I'd still like to see more angles of it (if only to drool some more) but more to see how well that narrow painted seat hides the wide arse looks of the fairing from above.  I'd also like to know how he fixed the Anderson fake disc to the Thunder Tiger front wheel. A dremmeled pmt200 wet up front and a proline road rage capping the rear would be amazing on that. I also like his recycling of a steering rod to act as droop limiter using a convenient point on the swingarm.

Edit: I'm surpised he hasn't made some shiny footpegs made from a chassis post, cut down then polished. ...mmmmm....... and it wasn't like the bikes previous incarnation as a yellow Yamaha Supermoto was bad either, but... <drowning in drool>.

Edited by jb.

It's a very pretty SuperMoto, and just had so many nice touches and clever bits of design....and I was recording the Moto GP anyway :)

How am I getting on with it....

Well...quite well actually. You can tell it has a lot of design compromises to fit everything in to the space available, and you can tell the quality isn't that high...but as long as you accept the limitations, it's a lot of fun. It was dead easy to drive and with the gyro in it's default setup, very stable. Too stable once you have a few runs in and get a feel for how to make it turn. I started off with the long side skids, and now have very short ones.

The stock brushed motor was way too slow and struggled when run on longer grass. Brushless is a lot better.

It was dead easy to get used to...though that may be helped by the fact that my brain is trained to 'think bike' after 30 years practice riding the things.

My expectations were not high, so disappointment wasn't likely. I bought it as an introduction to RC bikes, and to see if I actually liked them and could get on with them. To find that out, I wanted to buy the cheapest one out there and see from there. You don't want to shell out hundreds on an ARX only to find out it's not what you hoped. I went in with an open mind, and I'm glad I bought it. It's been fun to thrash round the park, and it's different. I still want a better quality 1/4 scale bike to add to the collection....but I also want to see if I can make my M5 as pretty as that little white one :)

• Like 1

Here's the now cleaned and grass free beasty in all it's orangeness :)

and1_zps9150383b.jpg

And here's where a few detail changes have been made already:

and2_zps9d049d9b.jpg

The brushless motor and ESC shoe-horned in behind there is one. The mesh grill on the fake radiator is another. Last one here is the footpeg fixings. I have drilled an M4 cap head bolt through with a 1mm bit, screwed that into the end of the footrest...and then fixed on the feet with small body clips. The hands are also held on with clips rather than e-clips. If I need to remove the rider...I can easily do it now.

Andy the Anderson Man has been filled with expanding foam and given a cable tie belt. Before I foam filled him, I inserted an antenna tube where you would not want an antenna tube inserted... so I can feed the wire up and avoid signal issues.

• 3 weeks later...

#Alloy front suspension setup has arrived from the US....and is now fitted. ~Front suspension.....with DAMPING! Luxury :)

The forks are well built, but a bit fiddly to put together. I spent several happy hours looking for those little hexagonal spring clips that hold the o-ring seals in place. Glad I chose to build them up indoors rather then in the shed. Never find them there!

You don;t realise how stupidly springy the stock forks are until you see the damped ones.

Needed a couple of washers to get the front axle spacing right so they didn't bind....but it's all sorted.

Look nice too!

Ended up having to buy the parts from the US as nowhere over here had stock....including Schumacher!

• Like 1

#Alloy front suspension setup has arrived from the US....and is now fitted. ~Front suspension.....with DAMPING! Luxury :)

Read that and had a flashback to when I gained 'The magic carpet ride'. :)

You should notice that the front of the battery tray doesn't clop and try to dig in on bumpy ground quite as much.

Edit: Shumacher had a clearout of old stock late 2012, that's when I bought a few rider shells. It would be annoying if there wasn't still some kind of UK supply for bits though. I think though that this boils down to sales (or maybe lack of) when they were first imported and pushed upon model shops everywhere with a way over

Edited by jb.