• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

kyosho Scorpion XXL thread.

Tug

Glad the diff's holding up. Nice footage.

Cheers, it does take hours to cut out all the rubbish, then make the best of the better bits.

Yeah, I avoided landing under power, only got it wrong once when it landed and the throttle was still partially on. The diff needs heavier oil, I want rear end grip, but at the moment it's unloading too much power through the inside wheel. In tight turns the inside wheel just spins up and forward momentum almost stops.

Sunday's looking like a scorcher, I intend making the most of that, anyone care to join me?

Nice needs 6s what the longest can that will fit.

I think the diff is the limiting factor tbh. 

There's a bit more room for a longer can, but I think kyosho have done a good job in their motor choice, can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head, but it's big.

6s? I'll run it again, but I'm not convinced it needs it, let alone handles it! If I can start getting some decent hassle free runs in, then I'll play with 6s.

Hi all, ive just got a nitro xxl with a lrp 32 fitted to it. Bit of a hand full on road but off road its a beast. Are there any "must do" things that I should do to it or just run it as it is?

Hi all, ive just got a nitro xxl with a lrp 32 fitted to it. Bit of a hand full on road but off road its a beast. Are there any "must do" things that I should do to it or just run it as it is?

Yeah, they're crap on road, but off road they shine. Just don't land under power, the diffs seem weak.

Got any pics or vids?

Edited by Tug

Can't find anything on shock weights not sure what to go with as the buggy is 1/7 scale ....... What do you reckon as a good recommendation or an educated guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I did some more 6s testing. All went well until the ESC thermalled. This was on stock gearing, but with the slightly larger than stock Badlands.

So out came the Castle 3M and in went an MGM ESC, 160 Amp rated! Now the MGM has no cooling fans, but I'm hopeful that its larger current handling spec will negate the need for fans.

Still to fit a uBEC, but will get testing again soon.

Oh, and I burnt out the stock motor yesterday, so all of the above was with a Castle/Neu 1515, 2200kv motor.

This motor ran well, topping out at ~50C. I couldn't complete the test run as I didn't want to risk the Castle ESC being smoked.

As before, more testing ASAP.

The motor isn't struggling, temps are reasonable.

ESC thermalled quickly. So my next move is to down gear it. I'll start with two teeth and see how that goes.

What KV is/was your stock motor? Mine is a 2250kv but i've read elsewhere there was a 2050kv odd one as well.

2250, dimensions are approximately 4268. This makes it slightly smaller than the 1515, 2200kv. I've managed to cook mine, I think it's just De-bonded, I'll get it open and check, it should be repairable if that's all that's happened.

Right, tried to lower the gearing, I bought a 10 and a 12 tooth pinion. Fifteen quid wasted. Kyosho haven't quite got the layout right for lower gearing! I could start cutting and filing, but I'm not happy doing that.

Instead, I changed the fanless MGM for a HW 150 Amp ESC. This ran without the thermal protection cutting in, but everything ran hot! The motor (Castle Neu 1515 2200kv) hit 74C, the HW ESC hit 70C. Yes, she's plenty fast on 6s, but that's too close to the limits for my liking.

So, tomorrow I'm swapping motors again. I'm going to fit a Castle Neu 1518, 1800kv unit. This is the same diameter as the 2200, but is slightly longer at 83mm. Couple the increased length with the lower kv and we might see some lower temps.

I will achieve high speed with moderate temps, oh yes!

Weather permitting, I will get the motor swap done first thing and get testing. Gearing, I'll probably start stock and go up a couple of teeth if the temps are better.

Latazz. :)

Oh yeah, I'm also annoyed that kyosho said that to go 6s, you only need change the ESC! Not sure I agree, if you can't physically gear down and the motor's running hot, then a lower Kv motor is a must, surely?

I know I've picked the hottest weather we've had for a while, but it shouldn't push the temps up this much, should it?

Motor swap is done, 6s pack is charging. I'll stick with stock gearing for now, so I'll lose some top speed, but I want a reference point for the new motor. I've dropped 400kv, so the top speed difference should be noticeable.

Right, only one pack through it, but very successful. ESC topped out at 50C, motor at 66C. Considering it's on a very high voltage, it may be under geared, so I might pop two more teeth on to prove or disprove that.

The top speed difference was noticeable, but barely. I think it's fast enough, that's good enough for me.

At the time of testing, the ambient temperature was considerably lower than with the 2200, but I don't think it matters that much. Time will tell.

One more thing I want to do is change diff oil, she's unloading far too much to the inside wheel.

Job done, this car is sorted for now. Back to finishing off the S5.