• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

kyosho Scorpion XXL thread.

Tug

FPV?

Give it a clean! 

Yep FPV. Works really well, the only thing is the aerial with it being exposed I've munched 2 clover leaf types so far from big tumbles. Trying a whip now recessed a bit to protect it.

Cleaning yeah I should really, I've just got used to its rugged looks.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen the Savox 1256 recommended as a servo replacement. A year and a half in I'm thinking it'd be worth it. Steering seems to have got irritating, with a wider turning circle and little definition at speed. Will the servo improve both of those?

On 22/06/2016 at 20:33, jdbarnes80 said:

I've seen the Savox 1256 recommended as a servo replacement. A year and a half in I'm thinking it'd be worth it. Steering seems to have got irritating, with a wider turning circle and little definition at speed. Will the servo improve both of those?

I've got a 1256 in mine, good servo for this car. Prefer Hitec, but had the Savox sat in the parts bin. 

I was dead set on purchasing a proline PMT but then ive spent all morning (well since 7.30) looking at vids of this, Im seriously tempted :D they look great. 

shame about the Diff though but from the vids ive seen, 4s looks pretty quick any way. 

I've got a 1256 in mine, good servo for this car. Prefer Hitec, but had the Savox sat in the parts bin. 

Running the Savox and love it. Had a few days of awesome bashing on beaches and dunes in Norfolk.

What recommendations for motor and ESC upgrades?

I was dead set on purchasing a proline PMT but then ive spent all morning (well since 7.30) looking at vids of this, Im seriously tempted [emoji3] they look great. 

shame about the Diff though but from the vids ive seen, 4s looks pretty quick any way. 

I've never seen the point of more than 4s its plenty fun as it is and clocks about 40mph, but then I've not tasted it in 5s or 6s, so ignorance is bliss. The diff is such a good upgrade that once its done you can forget about diff problems.

15 minutes ago, jdbarnes80 said:

Running the Savox and love it. Had a few days of awesome bashing on beaches and dunes in Norfolk.

What recommendations for motor and ESC upgrades?

I'm running a Castle 1518, 1800kv motor. It's slightly longer than the Castle 2200 which is 74mm, this is 83mm long. I've stayed with stock gearing, but run 5S pretty much all the time via a Hobbywing Xerun. Speed is approximately 40 with runtimes of around twenty minutes. 

I've been so busy with the X2, my Scorpion has been sat idle for far too long. 

Quick question about the batteries. How are you all doing it? buying 1 battery with the right cell count or using 2 batteries etc? would i get 2 2s shorty packs in it for 4s? 

Edited by Daveyb84

Quick question about the batteries. How are you all doing it? buying 1 battery with the right cell count or using 2 batteries etc? would i get 2 2s shorty packs in it for 4s? 

I just run a standard turningy nanotech 4s 6000 mah fits perfectly lasts up to 20 mins. ( I'm running an 18t spur gear) otherwise standard. The only downside with this battery is it won't let me charge it much beyond 3amps, I guess due to the cell design.

I use a 5S brick, so can't really help. Just check dimensions before you order. 

Do the diff mod before you start! 

Diff mod all the way! Although if you want to quickly learn every screw in the buggy every 2 packs don't. ;-)

1 hour ago, jdbarnes80 said:

Diff mod all the way! Although if you want to quickly learn every screw in the buggy every 2 packs don't. ;-)

Yeah, getting that gearbox out involves a lot of screws! 

So you've stayed 4S, but added four teeth to the pinion? 

Yeah, getting that gearbox out involves a lot of screws! 

So you've stayed 4S, but added four teeth to the pinion? 

Indeed, I guess it reduces some torque ( not noticeable) but increases top speed, but quite happy with it all. I do have the hard steel drive gear too I.e the one after the pinion.

1 hour ago, jdbarnes80 said:

Indeed, I guess it reduces some torque ( not noticeable) but increases top speed, but quite happy with it all. I do have the hard steel drive gear too I.e the one after the pinion.

If temps are ok, no problem! :thumbsup:

If temps are ok, no problem! [emoji106]

Hadn't noted any temp related issues until last week. I was running the massive proline mashers in the sand dunes and the battery got too hot, but it was working hard! Is that the main risk?

4 hours ago, jdbarnes80 said:

Hadn't noted any temp related issues until last week. I was running the massive proline mashers in the sand dunes and the battery got too hot, but it was working hard! Is that the main risk?

Yes, big risk. Monitor your temps closely.