• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maintenance question on a EMB-1

Rocha1305

Bearing in mind I bought this as a RTR:

I notice that when holding the car in the air, if I turn 1 of the front wheels round the other turns (in opposite direction) but not in a smooth manner like the rears.

It kinda 'grabs' a little, almost turning intermittently. It doesn't put up much resistance either.

Is this symptomatic of any issue with the gearing mechanism on the front? As said I didn't put it together so don't have much insight there.

I heard talk of diffs, is this what I should be looking at?

All wheels turn well under throttle when connected battery wise, so I'm guessing I'm ruling out anything to do with central drive shaft coming from the rear. Or is it worth looking at the slipper clutch setting?

Thanks in advance.

I would strip it and check the gearing then the diffs, re lube everything, the diffs in mine have been re lubed and the gearing also gets a good grease blob stuck in there too, Mine was an rtr but I stripped it down and noticed the diffs where not lubed properly, the diff should be smooth I use 3000cst oil in front and back while I fill the rear full I actually fill the front not fully and add some grease in there too then when the diffs are sealed I stick a nice size blob of grease on the gears before putting the casing back on.

I do this as often as I feel it needs it.

Si

• Like 1

Well that was good fun ;). The diff was only about 1/2 full of oil, and the colour was really quite silvery.

Cleaned it out, checked for any particles etc, damage or signs of grinding. Nothing stood out as dodgy tbh. Filled it back up.

Also applied some extra grease to gears before locking down the casing.

Unfortunately still have the same issue. It's not a show stopper but a little concerned about it.

Glad I've done all that tho, will be checking that lot every couple of months as a matter of course.

Definitely needed changing then, not quite sure on the issue though unless its wear on the diff or gears but at least its got fresh oil in there now, the diffs are a little fiddly especially if you have sausage fingers like me lol, I think there about

Just did the front only for now.

When turning the rears tho - it's smooth as silk.

Can't believe the price of these things tbh, cheap as chips. Might be worth having a spare anyways. I'm assuming the diff set I've seen for sale is the same on both ends of model?

@rc rookie : I'd alrdy switched to CVD's on the front. I had the issue b4 too tho. The issue occurs regardless of steering position :(

I'm a little stumped to be honest.

@ Si: I too have re-lubed rear diff & re-greased rear bevel gearing. Glad I've got that skill under my belt now.

I think I'll tap up another racer from local club, he has 1 too, wonder if he's experienced the issue.

• 1 month later...

Update on this....

Turned out that 1 of the wheel bearings had started to disintegrate! Also had a little wear on the outside of the CVD because it wasn't being supported in there evenly. Heyho, a pack of new bearings latter & it's as smooth a babies behind.