• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Car needs a push to start

chuno

I currently run the core 'power pack' in my mardave that I race on a weekly basis, this consists of the Speed Passion 13.5 motor and Pace 45 esc.

Last week while in a rush i decided to wire my Lipo in reverse polarity (seen it done so many times before, but never done it myself!)

The capacitor started to smoke, so i instantly disconnected the battery. To my surprise, everything still seemed to work fine afterwards, then for some reason in the next race, the car decided that it didn't want to start from a standstill without a push. It now does this intermittently all the time.

Did i just fry the capacitors and if so can i just replace them?

Cheers.

Edited by chuno

OK thanks.

Having looked closer, there are two capacitors that are soldered to a board.

Bear with me, as i have very little electrical knowlege, but on this board there are what look like two very small brown resistors and one of them has melted. Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement board with everything already on? Can't seem to find one on the net.

For clarity, here is the ESC.

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Manufacturer/Core_RC/CR173.html

Thanks

OK,

If I were to replace, what is considered to be the best 13.5 combo?

Currently, with the Core combo, my car did seem noticeably slower than a lot of the other cars, even with a 6600 lipo.

A lot seem to be running the Thunder Power motor, is this considered the best?

You should be able to buy the capacitor board as a spare part (contact Schumacher directly), however I suspect that the "not starting without a push" problem is the sensor system.

Sometimes this can be as simple as a bad connection in the cable, sometimes it can be a dirty or damaged sensor board in the motor (cleanable or replaceable), sometimes it is the sensor port on the ESC (possibly repairable, contact Schumacher).

The Core ESC is no slower than any other and it drives quite well. However it is not especially reliable so the reverse polarity mistake may have been more catastrophic than on other ESCs that can cope with those mistakes.