• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Feedtheinferno's Losi 5ive - Melty connections hmmm?

Feedtheinferno

Thanks guys well a little update. As you can see from the video where we run the cars is very dusty when it's dry and very muddy when wet, so I have sorted two filters for the difference in conditions.

For advice I have been talking to Nige at freeprawn today and he suggested the Rc2 shortstack filter as they are dry run paper filters meant for sand and dust. So that's on order and will be here before the coming weekends bash so I will update how it does.

The reason behind this after it starts to get dusty inside the car even with all the outerwears it has, the TGN filter gets clogged and ruins the performance as it's a oiled filter.

So the new r2c filter has arrived and it's metal construction really helps to reassure the quality. The filter is paper and therefore doesn't ever need to be oiled. It shouldn't be used in wet conditions, so when the rain comes around I will swap back to foam, but for the dry this looks brilliant.

The cleaning instruction is to use high pressure air to blow dirt off it from the inside of the filter out. I am looking forward to seeing how it handles itself this weekend.

IemLAYr.jpg?11TWtTet.jpg?1omuJez8.jpg?1

Just one question, every body puts the KN filter down but to me this looks like a re branded KN filter. So my question is, what is the difference between this and a KN ? :whistling:  

It's no different to any other paper style filter, the difference is this is shorter made for a 5ive.

When people put a dry filter down they do it mostly out of hear-say and ignorance as to what they are actually made for. If you ran one of these all year round it would be terrible as when they get wet they are no longer effective. These are made for high dust-sandy conditions and as they are dry they do not collect the sand or dust like a normal foam filter would, it just falls off making it far far more efficient.

• Like 2

After another run this Saturday I have some pictures that I will upload either today or early tomorrow.

However during the run I hit a rock half the size of the car (hidden by bushes) and although nothing broke the car started to loose signal randomly and the killswitch stopped working (both together is a very scary thing) so after changing the TX/RX on site and unplugging all I could and re-going over all of the electrics it still had a signal issue with no killswitch.

After a look around the connections I noticed a warping on the connector for battery, the female section looks like it had melted slightly and was stopping the battery from being fully plugged in. Strange, but once I re-connected it with a little more force everything worked as it should again and I was able to run the 5ive until the engine overheated from all the sand (about 2 hours).

Now again I don't have a picture yet but I can get one. 

But does anyone know why the connector would melt/warp like that? I presume it's because I have a Lipo in there?

I would tend to agree but the Lipo's are made for the 5ive and shouldn't be a issue in regards to overloading their cables. Definitely got me scratching my head.

I will just have to replace the cabling :) it would just be nice to see why it happened to hopefully stop it from going again.

Also for reference and review of that air filter. The standard foam filter let a little dust into the carb I am afraid....bad times. Where as the paper filter has been golden, it needed cleaning up a few times but after each brush off it carried on with 0 intrusion if dust into the carb.

It's just simply there is too much current being drawn from somewhere. The lipo only delivers the power used, something is happening that's drawing the power in the first place. It could also could be external  factors. IE it literally just being too close to the exhaust/engine and getting too hot.

It's just simply there is too much current being drawn from somewhere. The lipo only delivers the power used, something is happening that's drawing the power in the first place. It could also could be external  factors. IE it literally just being too close to the exhaust/engine and getting too hot.

I suppose it could be the dual servo set-up I have. I have been thinking of going to the Uber setup so it could be that 3 servo's is drawing too much current. 

Your steering not binding, servo not going down, end points set.

End points are as good as they can be with dual steering, the steering did take a huge huge hit when it hit this rock on Saturday so it could have something to do with it.

What sort of connector is it Nick?? It must be an excess current drain somewhere and I would definitely give the wiring a good look over ... you do NOT want to short out a LiPo!!

H

What sort of connector is it Nick?? It must be an excess current drain somewhere and I would definitely give the wiring a good look over ... you do NOT want to short out a LiPo!!

H

The female end of the on-off switch Harry,

$(KGrHqNHJF!FJiV8qOYtBSe5m)zoiw~~60_35.J

And I totally agree that I don't want too. Would make a very nice mess of my car.

OK ... its the standard one ... they won't take much current ... I wonder if the switch shorted ... possibly caused by crud getting in and displacing the contacts?? ... they are not very well made.

H