• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bixler 2: should the ESC be exposed?

Hey guys. Just had a thought about my bixler. I've built it with the ESC inside the plane, I chose a 30a esc capable upto 4s, on which I will be using it 2200kv motor on a 6x4 prop. I've had a look online and it seems 50/50, half the ones I see mount it where its exposed to cooling, and the other half mount it deep inside the bowls of the plane. What should I have done? Thanks for reading.

Hey guys. Just had a thought about my bixler. I've built it with the ESC inside the plane, I chose a 30a esc capable upto 4s, on which I will be using it 2200kv motor on a 6x4 prop. I've had a look online and it seems 50/50, half the ones I see mount it where its exposed to cooling, and the other half mount it deep inside the bowls of the plane. What should I have done? Thanks for reading.

It's up to your self really where you fit your ESC,,,as long as theres some cool air getting to it  you'll be all right..

You mite be pushing it with the ESC on amp draw..

What 2200kv motor ? Have you done a Watt test to check Amp and watts.

I use a Hobbyking D2826/6 2200kv motor with a 50amp ESC ,APC 6x4e Prop ,1300mAh 3S 25c Nanos ,in one of my Flyingwings (Dopplered ar nearly 90mph)...

amp draw is 28amps,,, I wouldn't trust a 2 amp margin if I was using a 30amp ESC...

Sean

It's up to your self really where you fit your ESC,,,as long as theres some cool air getting to it  you'll be all right..

You mite be pushing it with the ESC on amp draw..

What 2200kv motor ? Have you done a Watt test to check Amp and watts.

I use a Hobbyking D2826/6 2200kv motor with a 50amp ESC ,APC 6x4e Prop ,1300mAh 3S 25c Nanos ,in one of my Flyingwings (Dopplered ar nearly 90mph)...

amp draw is 28amps,,, I wouldn't trust a 2 amp margin if I was using a 30amp ESC...

Sean

Thank you for your reply. I have installed the D2826/6 on my Bixler with the Turnigy ae 30a ESC. I was following a discussion on another forum that said this motor/ESC combo is good up to a 7x3 prop in a 1kg EasyStar. So I thought this would be safe setup setup with a 6x4 in my 750g bixler? Should I be looking more towards a 40-50 amp combo?  

Thank you for your reply. I have installed the D2826/6 on my Bixler with the Turnigy ae 30a ESC. I was following a discussion on another forum that said this motor/ESC combo is good up to a 7x3 prop in a 1kg EasyStar. So I thought this would be safe setup setup with a 6x4 in my 750g bixler? Should I be looking more towards a 40-50 amp combo?  

You can only use 2cell or 3cell with that 2200kv motor and yes get aleast a 40amp ESC.

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor.
Motor Specs:
Rpm/V: 2200kv
Shaft: 3.17mm

Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)

Weight: 50g
Watts: 342w

Max Current: 34A

ESC: 40A

Suggested Prop: 7x4(2S) ~ 5x5 (3S)

I've been flying my set up on my Assassin flyingwing for over a year flying and a friend has the same set up in his Blixer

Get a 40amp ESC from  hobbyking UK ,a plush 40 amp ESC will do..

The 2826/6 2200kv motor is a very good up-grade for your blixer ,

that and a APC 6x4e prop(don't use the cheaper props , they bend / wrap ,while in flight and you loose power)

Best Li-Po to get would be Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30c/40c Li-Pos .

Sean