• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pistonheads' Baja has now got a new owner...

Pistonhead

Just gave a good blast on the beach and after about half an hour the engine died with a rattle and rear wheels locked up. Closer inspection led me to the clutch which had locked up, so i removed the clutch bell and found the shoes slightly melted/delaminated. Just before removing the clutch bell it was free to turn from the engine but hot to touch. I'm thinking this is a cheap set of shoes at fault and could anyone point me toward a decent quality set of stock shoes. pezapyny.jpgsyry7umu.jpg

Edited by Pistonhead

I was thinking the same, the clutch dosnt look that bad. With the clutch out does the engine start?

That's what I thought aswell I've ran with baldy shoes there must be a problem elsewhere

It fires up and runs fine without the clutch installed.

There's alot of dust in the clutch housing (put less than 2 gallons through her so far) and the cluch bell has some burr marks that line up with the pitting on the shoes.

Have ordered the shoes in the link to be safe anyway.

Edited by Pistonhead
  • Like 1

This is going to sound stupid but I had the same thing happen to my Losi XXL when running in snow. Burned the clutch out with the same findings on opening it up. Might be worth sticking some sand paddles on the back for the next beach run and see if that makes any difference.

It wont hurt, and it'll look awesome lol

i hope you guys realize that sand getting into gears and clutches end up as a very fine dust that mixes with the clutch dust or bits of gear making it hard to know for sure if there was sand in there.

the heat of the clutch will also not help finding out if sand was in there.

• Like 1

Right, fitted the new clutch. Clutch bell rotated nice and freely before running. After running for a few seconds the clutch seemed to bind up again as if it wasn't returning properly.

I had the flat washers inside the clutch with the wavey spring washers against the bolt head. This is the way they were when i stripped it. Is this the correct way?

Found out on tha Baja forum that i was doing them up way to tight, pinching the shoes tight enough for the spring not to disengage them. Added a bit more thread lock to the thread and a tiny smear of graphite grease to both sides of both washers.

All working again :)

Did a bit more tinkering today after reading on the Baja Forum about flipping the clutch.

So i gave it a go and the difference in throttle response is obvious.

The clutch now engages at the slightest sniff of throttle and will lift the front wheels off the deck briefly without bogging or struggling.

Edited by Pistonhead

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a link to that thread please mate?

Just placing an order with Innovative and have been looking at the clutches. Got some Turtle racing bits coming so figured I'd maybe swap the clutch out while I'm at it. Did you use any fancy tools to remove your clutch?

I don't have a link to that thread, and seeing as i didn't have a piston stopper, i improvised lol.

I removed the pull starter and held the flywheel nut to remove the clutch bolts, and replacing them i wound two bolts into the screw holes in the flywheel and held with a screw driver. Don't over tighten the clutch bolts as the shoes won't release.