• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

After school rc club

Madmini

Ive been thinking about asking our local school too but worry ide be ushed off. But one year i might offer to set up a stall at the fete. last year the main attraction was a bug stall lol. So i think the kids and parents would flock to rc.

My school had 12 go karts they'd bring out for fetes and town events schools should do more clubs , youth , teen and up. They could profit quite well i bet. 

Schools are usually fast to pull in extra funds too right now they want

In fact why does modelsport ect do school show and tells, take afew models show them running either in the play ground or just on film. Do a Q&A then give all students a tailored magazine from modelsport or other top suppliers with a catalogue for the kids to take home and bug the parents with.

Low budget cars but not junk highlighted.

Then another sort of show presentation for the school staff and board to sell them the idea of schools becoming the number 1 venues of the hobby. 

Both modelsport and schools would make an income out of it. Its win win why haven't they thought of it lol.

Even if just hpi 1/18 racers orders of 10 units with discount or a free model. 

But then the kids will also want an rc after drooling over youtube and again msuk would bloat out. 

I think rc is dying most kids drink cider and cause criminal damage cos they know they cant acheive much but those kind of kids usually have great imaginations and very good with their hands. 

We could all be sent a flier aimed at schools heads and boards with a quick professional presentation and we the forum users could order x amount of leaflets , booklets ect. Then go and hand them into the school and wait to hear back.

ill guess if just 10% of the schools got on board the popularity would explode. Then more and more kids get intrested.

I was allowed to run a club i would only take fees to meet the schools demand ide donate my time and be happy im enjoying my hobby to the full.

Altho ide happily work on rcs for others for cost of parts and idk

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

I think Tooleys shop in Northampton have done talks at schools around the local area.My boys school are asking for parents to introduce hobbys to the kids so when he is a bit older i might get involved with the school!

• Like 1

I don't think that will preclude you from starting something rcbutcher. I'm gonna be working with 9,10,11 year olds and we have 14 who have signed up. As you can tell from this thread it's been a hell of a lot of work to get to this point.

Talk to your local primary school, the worst they can say is no. The hardest bit is getting them to spend the cash. What they charge for the club is tiny and won't even cover the initial startup costs but the head and I both think it's worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on the club...

Yesterday I went into school to have a look at the kit. We have 5 shiny new maverick strada buggys. Some lengths of hose to lay out a track a few small ramps, batteries and chargers.

Next step is a quick run of the cars to ensure they are in running order and ready for abuse lol (I'm doing this Friday morning)

So assuming everything's ok I am turning my attention to my first club.

First time round I am going to start with a safety briefing. Then get the kids driving slaloms and figures of 8 through cones. With added homework of designing some tracks ready for us to look at the week after. I'm also going to encourage the kids to bring in there cars from home. The more that can bring in cars from home the better lol.

So all in all I have a plan..... May not be a good plan but it's a plan lol

• 2 weeks later...

Week 2 complete. We did much better. Kids are getting to grips with the cars and we only had a few crashes. Only one car was broken and not seriously, no new parts needed, just a new screw.

It's going really well and I'm well happy

• Like 3