• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi baja will not start

gazer

You've tried everything.... What have you tried?

The engine will only flood by pressing the primer bulb too many times.

If you remove the spark plug and put the cap back on are you getting a strong spark when you put the cord?

Have you tried reverting the carb back to standard settings?

When was the engine last running? any issues? any changes/mods since you last ran?

I primer bulb it till the flue is in there. It was ran yesterday working fine all day had the new spark put in at the same time broke the last one lol. Ran fine till all day I was about go go home it tried to start then it did for 1sec then never since then. Carb has been reset to see if that worked and nothing just seems to flood no matter wat I do

I'm going a new spark to see wat that dose I've rebuilt the engine and carb and got nothing I've heard that the spark plug may not be sparking in the engine even tho u have a spark when u test it

Not true, an engine can flood by pulling the starter too many times if it isn't starting. 

Agree :thumbsup:

Pressing the bulb will only prime the carb not engine.

Back on topic tho, as mentioned above check if you have spark on the spark plug before screwing it in the head. If not it might be one of 5 things:

1. spark plug dead

2 spark plug cap

3 the wire going from coil to spark plug

4 coil pack

5 gap between fly wheel and coil

1 spark plug dead. ive got spark whewn i test it

2 spark plug cap.  seems to work coz ive got spark

4 coil pack.  seems to work coz ive got spark

5 gap between fly wheel and coil. gap is set at 0.3mm 

1 spark plug dead. ive got spark whewn i test it

2 spark plug cap.  seems to work coz ive got spark

4 coil pack.  seems to work coz ive got spark

5 gap between fly wheel and coil. gap is set at 0.3mm 

So as you have a spark we can eliminate point 2 - 4

just put a new spark plug in and see what happens (always carry spare spark plugs), if no luck set the gap between coil and fly wheel. I know you said it is set, but it doesnt hurt to reset.

Just out of curiosity what carb do you have?

Check for air leeks between insulator block engine and carb.

How much fuel did the carb see? Asking as it might be the diaphram which regulates the fuel flow. If you took the carb apart make sure that the washers at the bottom of the carb were put in in correct way as they act as fuel pump

looks like ive got a prt missing out of the carb thinks its the float wat hoops onto the spring loaded arm . ive never seen it in there.might be the cause y there is so much pertol in the engine and floods no matter wat i do to it 

i had exactly same prob with my FG.

I tried everything including:

New Carb/Coil/Spark Plug/Fuel Tank etc..

The problem i was having is it would start no problems at beginning of a bash, but after the 1st run, id kill engine & have a smoke break or whatever (as ya do) then 5mins later id try to fire the puppy up...nothing, would keep trying & trying to the point where it would flood.

Anyway after a few weeks of this & alot of head banging/tool throwing & dummy spitting actions, it was summit as simple.... as the tuning!

I had my idle way too low, as soon i turned the idle screw in just a little, it now fires up with no problems, so im guessing because i had the idle set too low, & when the engine was warm & i was trying to start it there just wasnt enough fuel getting through to kick it in.

What got me onto the idle screw was before i sussed this, to start it id have to give a little throttle at same time as pulling the pullstart so it told me that there wasnt enough fuel getting through when trying to start it unless i opened up the throttle a little. So i just gave the idle screw a few turns in & boom... no problems since, worth a shot dude :)

Also to un-flood your engine...

Take spark plug out, flip ya car upside down & then pull the pull start a few times, a lil tip here is put a cloth over the head or summit or you WILL get splattered with fuel! also makes it much easier if you got someone to hold the car upside down for ya as trying to hold it upside down ya self & pull the pullstart at same time = epic fail! :P

Edited by rctruckz

have you tried ,take plug out,put bit fuel down plug hole,refit spark plug

then try to start engine

if it goes for a little ,then stops,means engine itself fine,can burn fuel

need to work back from inlet manifold

or you can try a sqeeze bottle,add fuel,and remove air filter

spray petrol mist into carb hole,then pull start,if goes for a bit ,then your new fuel mist is

getting to piston,and burning

if engine still dead,not burning your added fuel mist,then you have to strip engine down

as got gasket failure ,or piston ring worn,low compression,or bearing/crank seals leaking

but if it does go,then fuel in tank maybe bad,or fuel lines bad,or carb faulty,blocked jets

my 23cc was going the same way,had spark,little compression,but not burn fuel mist

so now 29cc topend,new gaskets,back from the dead,

if you do get a new engine,you can strip down the old one,check head gasket,bearing seals

i am lucky to have access to 3 bajas,so i swop parts around ,find the fault

get a baja thats running sweet,then add bits ,one at a time ,to see when baja wont start

i also had spark plugs that sparked,but not run engine,turn out to be clone/cheap plugs

got decent plugs ,dearer but fixed the baja engine

you should watch fast team eddy youtube vids,on strip and rebuild baja engine

thats what i did,found it simple then to fit 29cc kit on my 23cc block

piston ring ends face the carb,inlet manifold ,if no arrow or dot on piston,they face the exhaust port

if remove exhaust,and lower piston down the barrel,you should not see the piston ring end gaps,

as piston would be fitted backwards,good luck

• 7 years later...

Hi i really new to that i have rc of mine frind what need new or rebuild engine so i bay brand new cy 23cc engine new carb after fiting car start for about 5min then day and newer start again carb is on starting setings L 1,25 1,5 a geting spurk fuel going through mixing 1 to 25 please helps