• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Vaterra glamis uno thread

BORO-ROB

The original rear tyres are good I think. I used the proline sling shot sand paddles and I glued them as the original bead locks are pants. But they're 2.2 so you can find lots of other 2.2 bead locks wheels available that all sorts of tyres go on.

I've since given up on this as the diff bearing seized. Causing the diff half shell to wear, the fear casing to wear and strip two of the cogs in the gearbox.

It's a shame because I've never given up on it and it's a blast to drive, and I think it's one of the best looking rc cars or there.

I've put the motor in a HPI Apache C1 as I like the desert/sand buggy style cars. Shame this is a 4wd and 17mm axles mean you can't get wheels that will look like they're meant for the car. image_zpsq9ndpuqr.jpg

I think that is what's happening to mine! It feels stiff when I spin one rear wheel!

Yea one was stiff the I was flying up and down the beach and it made the cog grinding sound. I thought the motor had come loose or I had stripped the pinion but it was that. A shame really as I really do like it. I've re built it all with no motor or gearbox so I can still look at it haha

I modded my diff as soon as I got it, running on a plastic shell is asking for trouble in my opinion, I don't want my gearbox exploding.

I cut down the diff case at the outdrives and replaced what I removed with a bearing (the 6mm hub carrier bearings are a perfect fit), so basically the outdrives are running on a bearing instead of the case (similar in fact to a Baja diff setup), which is then running on the larger gearbox bearings.

The upshot is the diff is no longer 'sealed' but from experience on the Baja diff, these things are never as sealed as you might think anyway.

So basically the diff was just asking for trouble? Seems like it! So I am thinking my bearing in the diff are seizing, so I may have to strip it down! Fun!

I am using the hpi trophy buggy rear shocks on the glamis. got the stock front one on still as I haven't needed to change them. The glamis shocks shafts are weak as I found out, so I got help from a buddy on here and he led me to the trophy buggy shocks.

Edited by Brandon

steel spur gear, rpm front bumper, 8ight shocks, Trophy wing and mount, castle 4pole motor, Hitec 7955 servo, modded the diff

will you have it woth you on sunday as i want to see what you done to the diff if possible.

i think the stock will be going its abit weak from what i read at only 5kg oh and its plastic geared how pish is that  

rossyra i was just wondering if you had any pics of the way you fitted your halix spur as like you say in the thread page you used one of the slipper pads but when i tried it that way i got no drive ot the wheels when on the ground so had to fit both pads to get it working. just want to get it right thanks for any help

Here ye go ...

fiPLDAA.jpg

Nut > cone washers > stock washer > stock spring > stock plate > stock slipper shims x2 > stock graphite pad > spur

thanks for that i was putting the cone washers in the worng place will try it again 

edit 

not working for me its slipping like mad so no drive when on the ground 

Edited by mini-z-awd

You need to tighten the nut all the way in

got it working now i think its cause the slipper pad is worn down so the stock plate is hitting the spur and the nut won`t tighten up enough but i put the other slipper on and its abit of a beast now. i`ve ordered some new graphite slipper pads and when they come all try it again 

thanks again for all the help