• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Got a new RC. A little confused about the contents...

Sk8inDuck

So I recieved a Tamiya TT-01E today. I also got a TLU-01 Light unit, and was meant to get an Ansmann reciver, but couldn't for some reason....

When I opened the box I expected to find an ESC in there somewhere, but all I found was ANOTHER light unit. So now I have two light units, one I bought seperate and one I got in the box. Is this normal?

And can anyone recommend an ESC and/or a reciver?

This is a bit unusual, but not totally abnormal. Some Tamiya models come with lighting units, others don't. Some come with ESCs, some don't. Some come with both. Usually they come with ESCs but without lighting units, but depending on the combo you bought, the ESC may well have been ommitted. What was supposed to come with the kit according to the seller?

Receiver and ESC recommendations would depend on the transmitter and motor you plan to use. What are your plans in this regard?

Well, there is a big orange label in the box saying "Includes an electronis forward & reverse speed controller". That is what confuses me most.

I'll be using the stock motor that come with the kit.

Hmm. Was the kit also supposed to contain a lighting unit? I suppose the Tamiya TEU101/104/105 ESCs do look quite similar to the TLU01 light units, so it is possible that someone got them confused.

If you don't want to take it up with the seller, you could go for one of these ESCs:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-probe-wp-electronic-speed-control/rc-car-products/369473

It is water-resistant and can handle down to 15 turns, so gives you some scope to upgrade your motor at a later date should you find yourself unimpressed by the stock silver can.

I did actually phone up the suppliers and they said that it was meant to have an ESC included, and they will send me one. Thaks anyway.

I still need to decide on a reciver though...

Make sure the esc has a BEC to regulate the voltage from the battery down to an acceptable level, the teu101 don't if I remember correctly, so you reciever will need an inbuilt one, so I would wait for esc delivery before reciever purchase

Well I was thinking of getting a reciever with an interchangable crystal thingy, so that way I can use one of my other transmitters instead of bying a new one.

If I can avoid it, I don't want to spend more than