• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

Yes it's a Micro RS4... It's ok around the house I guess or open floor office :)) goes quite well.

Keyboard is good too [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's a Micro RS4... It's ok around the house I guess or open floor office :)) goes quite well.

Keyboard is good too [emoji41]

Do you need a big space for the Micro RS4? It only the room required thats putting me off, I don't want to spend the money to find out its no use in my small house lol.

Sorry going off topic a bit here but what model of keeyboard is that? Are the backlights on the individual keys programmable? Could you light up WASD in a differnent colour to the rest of the keys? I was looking at the Corsair K90 RGB but its a bit too dear really!

Hello James

Here is link to a video I created a while back......

http://youtu.be/6gj8CK7iqts

I prefer this to the K90.... A lot brighter.

The RS4 helps if you have space ... It's a fun little car. I use it in an office and it's not mega fast but it's ok in the space I have [emoji41]

Hi guys, I recently bought sidewaysjim's nitro WR8, i havent had time to run it since i bought it but took it out an hour ago and am having a pig of a time trying to start it. 

It was minus 2 outside earlier and doesnt seem to have got any warmer so i tried to preheat the engine near the heater as it seems ive killed my lipo for my engine heater so cant use that. It almost caught once and then nothing.

Batteries all charged, 20% fuel, two working glow plugs, ive tried both, a 3 and a 4.

The joys of nitro cars :thumbsup:

once my glow charger is charged again im going to try once more.

VWmk1 have you tried the factory needle settings? Not sure what they are, but shouldn't be difficult to find out online if you don't already have them ????

The cold is a problem, esp if you have fuel residue clogging jets etc. Plug battery needs to be 100% too otherwise it ain't gonna provide enough juice-heat.

Is fuel getting into engine?

Hi J.A.Son, I havent got a manual so put the settings flush and was going to work from there once it had warmed up.

However i have noticed some brown liquid leaking from somewhere in the vicinity of the engine, possibly the exhaust gasket. I cant say exactly where atm as i only noticed once it had leaked a fair bit and i havent taken it apart to have a look yet. The stool i was using to support the car had a puddle on it, it was coming through the screws used to hold the engine and had pooled on the chassis. 

I am not knowledgeable about nitro rc cars compared to some but i quite enjoy learning and fiddling, possibly more than running them lol.

My old trophy exhaust sat in a box for a while when i replaced it, that had some brown liquid in it that came out when i moved it.  Im wondering if exhaust residue collected and moved around during the postage process, i wont know until i have a look.

The cold is a problem, esp if you have fuel residue clogging jets etc

Is fuel getting into engine?

I saw the fuel move through the lines when i primed it, but i did question whether fuel was getting through a couple of times.  I thought i had flooded the engine twice yet when i removed the glow plug and turned the car upside down nothing came out.  The leak im getting could be the fuel not reaching the engine?

With my trophy even when its not starting or having tuning issues i can smell burnt fuel from the fuel contacting the glow plug, but im not getting that with this.  I got one cough and beginnings of a start but that was after i took the fuel line off the exhaust and blew down it, which i do not like doing, i usually just plug the exhaust and pull the starter 3 or 4 times.

Nitro cars are a PITA but make up for it x100 when you get them going!! I think the sound and smell of them beats electric everytime, but Im considering getting a brushless just for messing around with when im bored and have a few minutes and keeping the nitro's for days out as i do acknowledge the ease of electric.

Hello James

Here is link to a video I created a while back......

http://youtu.be/6gj8CK7iqts

I prefer this to the K90.... A lot brighter.

The RS4 helps if you have space ... It's a fun little car. I use it in an office and it's not mega fast but it's ok in the space I have [emoji41]

Nice! Thanks for the video! That keyboard is cool I will need to get one eventually lol. In the meantine I have an old saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard that i am using.

Have you got any video's of the micro rs4 running?

Anyway back on topic, has anyone mounted a go pro style camera to a WR8 while keeping the shell on? The only place I could really see to mount it was the roof or the bonnet. If its mounted on the roof it affects the car a bit and its more likely to roll, but if its mounted on the bonnet you dont really et to see the front of the car while its running, unless the camera is poining towards the ground. I would be interested to see how others have mounted it.

I have videos on my channel with a WR8 camera mounted

Yeah I have seen the video's but its hard to see where you mounted the camera. Do you have a picture or video of the car with the camera mounted on it?

I think i have found my problem a lot quicker than i was expecting. :yes:

Fuel reaches the carb and then leaks out of the rubber sleeve instead of going into the engine.  It actually comes out quite fast if you fill the carb and then squeeze and release the trigger several times, you can see a few bubbles and a trickle.

Ive never taken a carb apart yet, this should be interesting, im guessing its just the sleeve i need to replace but ill take the whole thing apart for fun :)

I have the alienware tactx keyboard and think its the best ive had so far for comfort and the feel and pressure of the keys. The fact it lights up and you can change the colours is awesome as it means on a long gaming session i can turn the main lights off in the room and still see the keys.

Alienware-TactX-keyboard.jpg

I just have my whole keyboard set to a boring red, its not too bright and doesnt keep me awake when i leave my pc on overnight.

Has anyone put a different engine in the wr8?

Ive taken this one out and the compression of the engine wont support its own weight. This i have been told is bad and requires a rebuild to fix.  So i was thinking this is a perfect opportunity to put a better engine in the car and use the original to learn how to do a full rebuild and keep it as a spare.

From my first outing today on a track with a bit of space for my nitro WR8, that GoPro would have been destroyed several times over.

I'm slowly learning how far the car can barrel-roll or go end over end when I get things all a bit 'wrong'!

Has anyone put a different engine in the wr8?

Ive taken this one out and the compression of the engine wont support its own weight. This i have been told is bad and requires a rebuild to fix. So i was thinking this is a perfect opportunity to put a better engine in the car and use the original to learn how to do a full rebuild and keep it as a spare.

If you don't mind me asking, when you say 'can't support its own weight' what exactly are you doing?

Does it feel like it has compression when you turn it over by hand- ie do you get good resistance as the piston approaches TDC?

If it were me and I'd identified the carb is leaking I'd try and sort that first. At least that explains the fuel sloshing aroundl in the chassis you mentioned. ????

Might be worth looking on fEbay for a complete (cheap) replacement carb...?

Hi J.A.Son,

When i was working on my truggys engine, Deafty asked me to test the engines compression by holding the head parallel to the floor and moving the flywheel to get the piston to start to compress, then hold the flywheel and let go of the head and see if the compression could hold the engines weight.  Now im not expecting the same sort of compression as the 4.6 is a bigger engine.  But i was expecting to feel some firmness and for the engine to hold its own weight, as the piston approaches TDC with me holding the flywheel i thought it would stop moving but it doesnt, it goes through its full cycle.

There is some compression there, it does have some resistance, just not as much as i expected.

Yeah i tested it again later that day just to make sure and it is the carb thats leaking. I will definitely fix the carb and ebays a good place for cheap parts.  I was just curious to see if anyones put a faster engine or one with more torque in.

Thanks for replying, its appreciated :)

James this is a quick pic of the current KB shell that has the positions of the holes I made. Again hope it helps....

2f0c427ba8d5f51a1f1884284692eeb8.jpg

James pic attached

9302ac21e45e4654276f7655687b4a78.jpg

Yeah that does help, Thanks! :) Did the mount you are using come with the camera? When the camera is mounted to the roof do you still see the front of the car in the video? I had mine mounted in a similar spot on the roof and if I wanted the bonnet in the video I had to angle it down too much and you couldn't really see much in the video. Also do you notice any handling side effects with the camera on the roof? Mine felt like it was more inclined to roll when cornering.

It comes with waterproof housing case. Did the job. Pointed it down so you got a good bonnet view.

I also user other cameras too. All in my videos I done last year.

Intend to do more soon as rebuilding flux at the mo.

I took it carefully in certain corners.

Guess it depends on how you drive it.

Ive been thinking about getting one of these 1/9 models but then saw the price of tires and shells lol. Is ther any cheap alternatives. Are they as big as 1/8 buggies jang said their more of a 1/7 true scale.

I had the hpi super nitro rs4 which was a little bigger than 1/10 but not as noticeable as 1/8

Has anyone done any speed runs upto 100mph with them? I saw a hpi sprint 2 flux hit 100 on youtube running 5900kv 3s i think. 35t pinion.

That hero 4 looks vunrable as lol i was just debating the 3 or 4 and chose the 3 because i thought the screen would be vunrable on rc. Ide get it some full armour lol.

You referring to the Ken Block flux? As in the car in my video? If so its a 1/8 model. Or are you referring to a different car?

That hero 4 looks vunrable as lol i was just debating the 3 or 4 and chose the 3 because i thought the screen would be vunrable on rc. Ide get it some full armour lol.

It's protected in outer shell... Pic was to show where it was or could be mounted.

I thought they marketed the hpi wr8 and kyosho drx as 1/9 scales? But the kyosho drx has a 1/8 class motor 2700kv the wr8 has a 1/10 sized motor 4000kv isnt it.

It's pretty confusing lol.

The hpi looks smaller than the kyosho here. The thunder tiger is a full 1/8 i think.

Edited by RCbutcher