• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

If you're referring to the gmade, I think you may need to replace upper shock.stand-offs with a bolt and spacer?

When I fitted my Powerstrokes I bought some perfect chromed 8mm spacers off eBay for a few quid. A ~15mm bold and nyloc nut and you're away with a factory/OE look fit! :)

The Blitz shocks look like they'll use OE stand-offs (don't good me to that though) but at 2x the price!

In case I missed it... Do these bolt straight on the WR8 flux or is modifications needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you're asking about the Gmade shocks the 75mm version is going to be shorter than stock. If you are looking to go with stock ride height you want to go with the 85mm or the 93mm. The 85mm would probably be perfect... http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_product.php?range=RACING&productId=0000008367

Mike

Edited by Mgozzz

Those Proline Pros are the cats meow, but $100 a pair?

Right... FWIW they also are not really the proper length for the WR8. If you look at them installed on any WR8 chassis you will see the smaller of the dual springs is usually compressed. That pretty much defeats half the porpoise of the shocks... lol. They are designed to be dual rate with the short spring soaking up small bumps and the large spring soaking up jumps/large bumps etc. When the small spring is compressed you are obviously only relying on the other.

For the price the 85mm Gmade diaphragm shocks look stellar to me.

On a parallel note... last night I did some looking around and I may have found a cheap alternative for the WR8 shock bodies. Now don't quote me on this because I haven't physically tried these out myself but it looks like we should be able to swap out our shock bodies for the threaded HPI Blitz pieces...

The plastic bodies are these units (cheap like <$5 a set)- http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/85054

And the shock cap/threaded collar for them (also cheap)- http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/100317

Now if these bodies fit it would be a really cool upgrade for anyone looking to stick with the stock parts. I may order another set of stock WR8 shocks (from one of the chop shops) and if I do I'm going to order the threaded bodies and caps to see if they fit.

Also! they offer an alloy body upgrade. They are a bit spendy at $13+ but it is still cheaper than the power strokes ;-)

This the the alloy upgrade body- http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/86837

Mike

Edited by Mgozzz

Right... FWIW they also are not really the proper length for the WR8. If you look at them installed on any WR8 chassis you will see the smaller of the dual springs is usually compressed. That pretty much defeats half the porpoise of the shocks... lol. They are designed to be dual rate with the short spring soaking up small bumps and the large spring soaking up jumps/large bumps etc. When the small spring is compressed you are obviously only relying on the other.

Same issue with the Powerstrokes. You can ignore it or not use the smaller springs, but the truth of the matter is the Powerstrokes are not very well suited to the WR8 in terms of length. Especially the front end. Very poor choice for lowered on road set ups in particular. IMO, Squirrel from the Toys lead a lot of people astray with his Youtube recommendations on "upgrading" to Powerstrokes. Caveat emptor gentlemen. Don't get me wrong, these are awesome shocks, but not a good match for the Wr8. Edited by Hotshot888
  • Like 1

Agreed, PS's aren't perfect for the WR8 with the standard rate springs all round. However, running firmer springs sorts the helper spring compression- on mine anyhow. With everything setup- ride height/horizontal drive shafts, fully loaded and drop settled etc, the firmer helper springs still provide at least 5mm (50% compression) which is enough to do their job of soaking up small surface imperfections.

My chassis will ground before the shock bottoms out too.. :P

Don't get me wrong, had those gmade been available 14mths ago I'd have jumped at them at their price- even though I paid around the same for my Prolines.. ;)

***Disclaimer- I nor any member of my family have connection to or are employed by Proline or Squirrel Lod- the toys***

:D

I have the full range of springs for the PSs and my car is dialled, so I'm not saying people can not make a go of it with the PS shocks ;)

I know if I use the lower arm hole or I will gain a enough for the chassis to hit first, but we are splitting hairs here. These shocks are too long for this car.

Personally, I would not recommend the PSs. Especially for the front end (at all, frankly).

Yea, there is a slight length issue with Powerstrokes at the front. I'm using the lower a arm hole :S, which improves it a bit, but tbh its not caused me any issues- other than some grounding wear to the shock bottom plastic pivot mount- as it protrudes below a arm a bit. D

Add a washer (OD 9mm ID 3mm) between the lower shock mounting screw and pivot mount. It will protect it nicely.

I'm needing to get a set of 4 bearings for the knuckles. I get my tamiya ones from a guy down south but he doesn't stock wr8 remakes. Can someone tell me where the best place to get them at and are the 4 of them all the same size?

I'm needing to get a set of 4 bearings for the knuckles. I get my tamiya ones from a guy down south but he doesn't stock wr8 remakes. Can someone tell me where the best place to get them at and are the 4 of them all the same size?

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=15_17&product_id=969

Full (Bullet) kit, rubber sealed- 100% better than OE rubbish and great value. Replace as you go- diff rebuilds etc... ;)

Fwiw had 47mph on standard gearing earlier today, which I was quite impressed with. Must resist fitting a 22t pinion, lol :P

Hmmm, be worth emailing them, but the kit is Bullet specific, so is the clutch different to the WR8?

The Flux version is spot on- only have centre diff left to do on mine- everything else fitted perfectly :)

Hmmm, be worth emailing them, but the kit is Bullet specific, so is the clutch different to the WR8?

The Flux version is spot on- only have centre diff left to do on mine- everything else fitted perfectly :)

Same, drivetrain on both flux and nitro is perfect with the one exception of the two clutchbell bearings. I wouldn't be too worried if I hadn't had one fall apart when changing them.... Lol

FYI everyone, Team Blue Groove has a sale on this weekend on their bodies. MCI_RACING who does the decals for TBG also is having a sale. Good time yo buy. :). My PayPal account got a workout today!

• Like 2

How many on here run the nitro WR8?

I'm sort of pondering on maybe getting one to go with my WR8 Flux.

How do they compare speed wise?

My only other experience with nitro was around 1989-90 when I had a Kyosho Peugeot 406 rally.

From what I've seen the WR8 3.0 seems fairly easy to get on with.

How many on here run the nitro WR8?

I'm sort of pondering on maybe getting one to go with my WR8 Flux.

How do they compare speed wise?

My only other experience with nitro was around 1989-90 when I had a Kyosho Peugeot 406 rally.

From what I've seen the WR8 3.0 seems fairly easy to get on with.

After always being a nitro fan (similar time to you 80-90's) I personally prefer lipo power and would not go back.

Remember, the constant fiddling with the mixture due to weather etc? Pain of starting- admittedly not always- if its run regularly and well maintained. But, worst of all for me the racket! There's not many places you can run nitro without seriously upsetting someone! lol

Brushless/lipo power is awesome, and I recon quicker, given the instant torque.

I can usually deside to got for a run and within mins I'm off- lipo's with a storage charge still have some decent run time in them. When I'm done, maybe turn upside down to clean and a quick squirt WD here & there, lipo on storage charge and away it all goes- untill next time- when it'll do exactly the same again..:D

In the past I'd still be trying to start nitro! :P

After always being a nitro fan (similar time to you 80-90's) I personally prefer lipo power and would not go back.

Remember, the constant fiddling with the mixture due to weather etc? Pain of starting- admittedly not always- if its run regularly and well maintained. But, worst of all for me the racket! There's not many places you can run nitro without seriously upsetting someone! lol

Brushless/lipo power is awesome, and I recon quicker, given the instant torque.

I can usually deside to got for a run and within mins I'm off- lipo's with a storage charge still have some decent run time in them. When I'm done, maybe turn upside down to clean and a quick squirt WD here & there, lipo on storage charge and away it all goes- untill next time- when it'll do exactly the same again..:D

In the past I'd still be trying to start nitro! :P

Must admit that is in the back of my mind but from what I gather the modern stuff is far less hassle. Although will always take more looking after than lipo.

Obviously it depends what you want at the end of the day, and getting a nitro to run well has to be a large part of that :)

I'd rather spend the Money on tyres for the flux

BTW ran a set of gymkhana tyres the other day, after running other cheaper alternatives for a while. Wow, I'd forgotten just how good the proper WR8 rubber is!

Obviously it depends what you want at the end of the day, and getting a nitro to run well has to be a large part of that :)

I'd rather spend the Money on tyres for the flux

BTW ran a set of gymkhana tyres the other day, after running other cheaper alternatives for a while. Wow, I'd forgotten just how good the proper WR8 rubber is!

Really easy to roll on gymkhanas though!! Lol

Agreed, I have both nitro and flux, and my nitro is fast becoming a well tuned aunament, along with my TS4n.

A well tuned .15 engine is reliable and quiet, as anyone with an rs4 or old rush would know, but as its been said, the wr8 isn't a .15, nor is it quiet.

You need a park to avoid upsetting neighbours.

So to round up, if you've got a flux, and want something nitro, there's loads to choose from but I wouldn't make my decision a wr8.

There's a supernitro on eBay at the moment that would definitely be attractive though.