• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

401 gyro help pls

stevek32

Hi all, got a 500 fitted with a 401 gyro. 1st hh mode is with dx6i towards me am I right in thinking that if I swap tx around and put lower then 50% that then becomes hh and higher becomes rate?.

Also when trying to hover tail drifts to the left tail in is that controlled by the gyro its set at 30 hh and 70 rate. If so do I increase or decrease to hold tail still?.....

Right, if it's a genuine Gy 401 from futaba there should be very little drift if any.

Sorry If this is teaching you to suck eggs but I don't know how much experience you have with gyros.

First things first set you need to set your linkage square and straight in Rate mode (the LED on the gyro should be OFF) Remove all rudder trim from your TX including sub trim. Try to find a servo arm that in as close as possible to square on your servo. Once you have a close one do not trim it out with sub trim as this may still be perceived as a tx input by the gyro and can cause drift.

Set the tail pitch slider to centre and make the push rod to length and install. Using the travel limit adjust on the gyro, not the tx end points, adjust the travel so theres no binding.

Go to your gyro menu and try to adjust the values. on spektrum values above 50 are HH (led on on a 401) and below are rate (led off)

For a 500 values around the 70 point are normally good to start.

Joe

yep have to adjust gain with very very small steps buddy.

its the joy of gyros and gains.

you getting a constant left or a wiggle left now and again.

when looking at rear of heli and tail spinning does the rear pitch/blade control wobble

in and out ? have seen videos where 450 class have seen this rear blade pitch wobble

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the heli second hand and it was rtf. But I looked at the finless bob how to vids, and that's where I got myself in trouble I think.

basically the servo horn was at 90

Ok guys. Think I'm getting confused with this hh and rate etc.

Ok have reset everything on tail servo trims etc.

dx6i is now set 0@30% and 1@70% in position 0 no light on by401 and tail slider returns to middle of slider. 0% pitch on tail blades parallel to boom.

flick switch to position 1 on tx and solid gyro light and tx left and tail slider goes towards boom and stays there after I release the stick same in opp direction setbend points in this mode.

flick to position 0 again and slider centers.

is it all ok so far?

If so how do I fly? Because I'm used to the heli centering again after input I.e if it drifts left right rudder and release when I'm happy. The other seems like it will be a knightmare to control as u would be forever over correcting. But at the same time its the only one that seem to adjust as tail moves to bring it back to 0

Rate mode is when you control everything for the tail, it only holds against the centrifugal force of the main rotor.

Heading Hold is when the gyro holds the tail at all times apart from input from you.

You need to set the tail up mechanically so it will hold in a hover with no input before setting the gain in HH. So, look up the manual for your model. It will tell you what the length of the tail push rod should be and how many degress pitch the tail blades need to hold. Set it up as per manual, set gyro to rate mode and go hover if it holds with no input you land and switch the HH. Then hover and adjust the gain so there is no wag or drift :thumbsup:

There has to be some pitch on the tail blades or it won't hold in rate mode.

You will want to be flying in HH mode once you are set up mechanically in rate mode.

Dig up that manual and take your time ;)

Cheers Danny so if I want to get slider to center what's that mode called because that's what I want to fly in as its the same as 130x and is that the one where gain is higher or lower then 50%

You need to fly in HH mode really. (Tail stops over after stick input) your 130x uses this mode. Trying to fly in rate is counted productive. It may be easier to fly forward as the tail will follow the Heli with no input but its nearly impossible to fly backwards unless you have the reactions of a ninja cat on crack.

Thanx guys it seems I have been learning in rate mode...... Duh.

I thought this was the preferred way that would explain why on spool up it was rotating without wanting to stop, and I was reducing the input down from 30% down to 24% and increasing subtrim up to 50% to hold it on spool up.

Never occurred to me rate mode was what I wanted as when grounded and the tail doesn't return you naturally assume it will be a pug to fly...

checked 130x and yep tail stays where you input stick to.