• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rolling resistance Question

babyface

+1 above.

There could be very slight ovalling for a number of reasons, even the grub tightening on the motor shaft.

I always temporarily position the motor, then move the spur a couple of rotations to feel for tight spots, but aim for 'as close as possible as free as possible no tight spots', and open out very slightly if there are.

Al.

How does one change the position if it is tight?

You can't fine tune the TA01/02 mount. You just select the right holes to go with your number of pinion teeth.

The extra pair of holes are for adjustability with some cars that need the extra space or the pinion closer as far as I know. I just use the opposing holes as normal and have never had an issue.

As far as the rear diff, you may have a ball dill fitted (most did) or the earlier models had a gear diff. Personally, I prefer the gear diff as I like to put a sticky grease in it to give it a limited slip feel. It's down to your own preference.

Have fun, they are avert capable car.

You can't fine tune the TA01/02 mount. You just select the right holes to go with your number of pinion teeth.

The extra pair of holes are for adjustability with some cars that need the extra space or the pinion closer as far as I know. I just use the opposing holes as normal and have never had an issue.

As far as the rear diff, you may have a ball dill fitted (most did) or the earlier models had a gear diff. Personally, I prefer the gear diff as I like to put a sticky grease in it to give it a limited slip feel. It's down to your own preference.

Have fun, they are avert capable car.

I think its a ball diff at the back. How loose should this feel as mine does seem not to bad when turning one wheel by hand. But turn both rear wheels and it does seem tight. This is with no motor in. I ask as my tl01 just seems to much smoother but i know it has had loads done on it.

Ball diffs should feel a little tighter so it sounds okay. I take it you're turning both wheels in the same direction? It could just be that you have a sticky bearing somewhere that will be sorted out when you fit the new ones.

TL01's do feel a bit looser as it's a simpler and cheaper design on the whole, but it does sound like it's a combination of worn gears and too much grease that's holding your TA01 back. When you rebuild it, just a small amount if grease on the gear surfaces is all that's needed.

Yep, turning both wheels same way, turning the wheels different ways its quite loose.

Right, New bearings, 20t pinion gear, metal motor mount and plastic gear set ordered. So rebuild time soon. Is white spirit ok to clean grease of things?

No, I wouldn't as it could make the plastic brittle. I use motor and bearing cleaner or citrus bike chain cleaner is just as good. Give the gear cases a good scrub with a small paintbrush to get rid of the old gunk and then rinse and leave it to dry and you're ready for the rebuild.

How does one change the position if it is tight?

My 'bad' on this one - wasn't aware that it was set up for one pinion size.

Normally on other models there's a round hole for one motor mount screw and a slot for the other to permit this adjustment as I mentioned.

Sorry for that.

Al.

Al, on most cars that's the case, some Tamiya's though use the set position method for sheer simplicity I think. The mounts have holes drilled to match the pinion size you are using, count the teeth, mount to the corresponding holes and Bob's your Dads, sisters husband.

Edited by tonysmini

Ok, one strip down, clean, replace parts and rebuild later - all is well again. Now free wheels cleanly with no binding and motor fits again with the new motor mount. Weather permitting thinks I will take it out tomorrow for a bash. As a side note after taking apart the rear diff, removing the solid grease!! and putting back together I noticed the nut may well of been done up to tight, is this a common problem.

Thanks for all the help guys, would never of been able to do it without you. It was easier than I thought it would be so will now have a go at the TL01, give it a clean and rebuild.

Thanks once again.

Alex

When you rebuild, use a light grease, I tend to use red push bike grease, you only need a little as the gears will throw off any excess.

Don't use spray ones, the solvent in the sprays can effect the gear cases making them brittle.

You should see where the bearings go in place of plastic and brass bushes.