• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ansmann mad rat good or bad ?

Yes I but I upgraded to the carbon one along with alloy shocks as the stock ones leaked.

did the standard one fail then ?? or did you change it in anticipation of a part failure ? the t piece i mean

Edited by biggamehunter

we are going to take them out for the first outing this morn , so let you know how it goes later with pics,

took it out for first run , very impressed ,in general , tyres are junk , but im waiting for some proline dirt hawgs for the rear and dboot blockpass for the front so that should sort that issue out , it performed very well , took a bit of a slamming , no breakages , the manta ray ripped a motor wire off and smashed the shell , but TAMIYATHRASHER was driving it like he was purposely trying to break it im sure !!!!!!!! the mad rat needs more power and grip but thats being sorted , anyway , some pics , couldnt get action shots as the camera was too slow , lol

the spot

bashing017_zpsad2e54bc.jpg

bashing005_zps5735e6ae.jpg

the cars

bashing018_zps58dde0ed.jpg

bashing014_zps1e158256.jpg

bashing013_zpsb9b1c7ac.jpg

bashing010_zps08624fdc.jpg

bashing009_zpse1625cfb.jpg

bashing004_zps4ba33ec8.jpg

Edited by biggamehunter
  • Like 1

recentley got a mad rat myself as i was getting fed up with all the mess and noise u get with nitro lovley litle car for pottering about with iv swaped out the motor from a 21t to a 17t(aparentley the esc limit is 16t) as i needed a little more poke havent taken it off piest yet

looks like i have a indoor track near me so going to try my hand at some 1/10 racing,aparentley they have a good reputation as a great starter track car

just looking at ordering -

med shock springs set

rear tyres

shell/wing as mine is mashed from previous owner

Is that an ancient Manta Ray? Or possibly a Top Force with a Manta Ray shell? Loving the long front shocks - very 1991!

yep , well almost a top force now but started out life as a manta ray , the shocks worked amazingly well today , dont know why they ever got shorter ?? lmfao

recentley got a mad rat myself as i was getting fed up with all the mess and noise u get with nitro lovley litle car for pottering about with iv swaped out the motor from a 21t to a 17t(aparentley the esc limit is 16t) as i needed a little more poke havent taken it off piest yet

looks like i have a indoor track near me so going to try my hand at some 1/10 racing,aparentley they have a good reputation as a great starter track car

just looking at ordering -

med shock springs set

rear tyres

shell/wing as mine is mashed from previous owner

great cars , i had a technigold in it today but got a 17t on order as it needs more poke , the manta had a 17t in and that was perfect on the power front , the tyres on the rats are absolute bunk tho , i got dirt hawgs and dboot blockpass for the front , as the ribs didnt work too well on the rough stuff , slip then grip through corners , sliding freely then snatch n grab and pull me all off line , the shocks dont need upgrading in my opinion they worked realy realy well and no issues of the tops popping off ?? i was thinking of the shock upgrade but after hitting the rough hard today , i now believe that changing them will be more for looks and status than any gain in function over the standards , hope this helps but thanks greatly for your time and interest guys

ye i got a rebuildable ansmann launcher , they very good quality and 28,000 rpm , as oposed to the 19,000 of the technigold , if you look at the pics i have added stiffer springs , big difference , i have stretched the standard springs longer , and they now are very good indeed , so didnt need the stiffer ones realy ,

Hi all, just ordered the Team C Jekyll kit from MS and I am happy to see this thread.

It will be my first kit, all I have had in the past was RTRs so I am a little worried. I hope I will manage to put it in one working piece :)

First of all, will the kit include the shock oil and diff oil in the box?

And 2nd, what pinion gear should I go for considering I will be using the 9T Ez-run brushless motor??

I am back into RC after 2 years so I am a little noob here.

• Like 1

The kit will probably include some sort of shock oil - though the chances are it won't be the right oil and will make the car massively over or under damped. Likewise it may well include a pinion, but its probably not the right one. It won't include diff oil because it has a ball diff so it comes with a special diff grease. Use that and only that grease on the diff and nowhere else!

• Like 1

mine had a 21t pinion and a 19t with it , i will be on the 21 with a 17t brushed motor , and apart from the servo saver its a pleasure to build and work on with very easy to understand instructions even tho i never had any with mine , it took me about 6hrs to build completely including electrics without instructions , better than an ikea wardrobe !!!!!!!!

wow. thanx for the quik reply guys. first, please excuse if I have a bad english.

@biggamehunter : did you have had the madrat or the jekyll kit?

@si coe : thanx for the diff tip ;)

mad rat , the jekyl is a bit better than the rat , more upgrades better quality plastics etc and aramide/kevlar gears but cant fault the mad rat , they basicaly copys of the rc10 b4 buggys which if the geometry is the same or similar they are great buggys as the rc10b4 are world beaters

Edited by biggamehunter

The team c competition versions are taking it to another level at the moment the team editions of the cars are really worth buying with more carbon fibre than a f1 car and most the essential upgrades included they really do look like they could win quite a few races with the right drivers and looking at who's got them they just might

Oh well, for now I will just stick to the Jekyll. I am just looking for having some fun, no competition in mind. I've been looking at the upgrades though and in the near future will do some.

Another question: does this kit comes with ball bearings? And where could I find some metal hex's?