• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

6WD Punisher Build Thread!

luke1983

If this is the man from Freeprawn, Maybe he could let us in on what is going on with the punisher availability, Or lack of, And why Freeprawn suddenly have no stock like everyone else.

You'd have to ask him yourself mate. Although I must admit I didn't realise that this was a problem. It must be bad if Freeparwn don't have the parts available - they've always been great when ever I've ordered awt.

It goes pretty well now, I had to take the rear wheel steering of it as it cooked the clutch and then it wouldn't draw the fuel from the tank as it was to far back but now its back in its original place it works OK. I'm going to run it in a quarry at the weekend to see how it handles the bumps and hill's and I might be able to get some video footage.

Rear wheel steering too. Mint.  It crossed my mind but I thought it'd be a nightmare to get it all balanced right.  Maybe the next project will be an 8 wheeler with the front four steering.  I've got to stop thinking like this!!!  I look forward to the video's.  I had mine on a bit of industrial waste ground and it was pretty awesome just no shell or awt on it.  I've got a tuning issue now though which is gunna slow the progress down a bit.

Setting up four wheel steering was easy to do really the only issue I had was when it turned corners it put to much strain on the clutch and drive train but it would turn on its own axis which made it very easy to drive. I've changed the pipe now from the one in the picture I'm running my stranded one that came with my Losi 5t

Setting up four wheel steering was easy to do really the only issue I had was when it turned corners it put to much strain on the clutch and drive train but it would turn on its own axis which made it very easy to drive. I've changed the pipe now from the one in the picture I'm running my stranded one that came with my Losi 5t

Any reason you changed the pipe?  I've got a double stack system coming soon which will look like a lorry one.  Gotta find a way to mount it though when it gets here, if it ever gets here.  It's designed to fit the FG on road engines & as such I'm not sure what I'll have to do to get it to fit the FTX punisher CY motor.  I think the main difference will be the mounting position of the motor as they are on the side on the on road vehicles but I've got some exhaust tubing to get around that.

I've been cutting the mask today and applied the first couple of layers of paint to the shell should get the black bits done at least today and move on to the blue ^ silver tomorrow.  Not sure how goodmy cutting is but we'll know by the end of the bank hol's!

The chrome pipe was standard on the the truggy matrix but it was louder than my losi 5t and that's got an after market exhaust plus I didn't like the look of it , but I tried to use some silicone exhaust tube and found when it got hot it started to close up where I bent it round to exit out the rear of the truck hence that is another reason why I changed it but I am looking around for a nice pipe to go on it. If you're getting the pipe I think your getting that will look really good with twin stacks.

The chrome pipe was standard on the the truggy matrix but it was louder than my losi 5t and that's got an after market exhaust plus I didn't like the look of it , but I tried to use some silicone exhaust tube and found when it got hot it started to close up where I bent it round to exit out the rear of the truck hence that is another reason why I changed it but I am looking around for a nice pipe to go on it. If you're getting the pipe I think your getting that will look really good with twin stacks.

It'll finish the look off good I reckon.  I'm a bit concerned about how I'm off to route it but I'll figure summat out.

Got the paint work done,It not the best but its the best I've ever done so pretty chuffed with it.  Just got to get some lights, decals and sort out some wing mirrors.  All the white bits will be black or grey perspex.  And then I need the pipes.

gallery_15232_2095_1404036.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_164180.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_54889.jpg

gallery_15232_2095_252146.jpg

Edited by luke1983
  • Like 1

Its looking good now are you going to find another way of holding your wheel trims on instead of cable ties what are the wheels off it would look really nice if the rear end was built out of aluminium or small checker plate like they use for rock crawlers

Edited by simplton27

Its looking good now are you going to find another way of holding your wheel trims on instead of cable ties what are the wheels off it would look really nice if the rear end was built out of aluminium or small checker plate like they use for rock crawlers

Cheers! I dunno about the wheel trims. They are designed to be screwed on to the FG wheels but you can't get any scale looking tyres to fit them wheels. I've ended up using HPI beadlocks because you can get so many tyres for them although they do look a little big. If i could get some decent tyres I'd use the FG wheels and screw them in.

I thought about using some mini chequer plate for the rear bit but I haven't got the tools to work it & dunno anyone that has. You can buy chequer plate stickers which might work.

Edited by luke1983

I have had a thought about your wheels Cen do 4 different models of my truck they do a buggy , short course ,truggy & monster truck but I'm sure the short course wheel is a direct swap for FG wheels and they might be more to the scale your looking for I'm not sure if Ripmax still do them though plus it might help with the gearing aswell as they are a smaller diameter than the Hpi ones. As for the alloy the stuff I have got here you can cut with a good Stanley knife and it bends really easy or you can use tin snips if you want to cut around your wheel arches.

Edited by simplton27

I have had a thought about your wheels Cen do 4 different models of my truck they do a buggy , short course ,truggy & monster truck but I'm sure the short course wheel is a direct swap for FG wheels and they might be more to the scale your looking for I'm not sure if Ripmax still do them though plus it might help with the gearing aswell as they are a smaller diameter than the Hpi ones. As for the alloy the stuff I have got here you can cut with a good Stanley knife and it bends really easy or you can use tin snips if you want to cut around your wheel arches.

You mean these?  If  so they do look quite cool, big thick tyres and smaller wheels.  I'll try&find out the diameter etc for them. Don't suppose you know do you mate? 

Have you made some alloy bits for your truck??  I might cover the perspex in it to stop it bending.  Cheers for the ideas!

gallery_15232_2095_39231.jpg

Also, what do you get if you chop up an FTX punisher rollcage & an old wing and do a bit of shaping?  Some wing mirrors for the truck!!

gallery_15232_2095_794728.jpg

Just need to glue it all together and mount them.  They will probably look a tad heavy duty but I like 'em!

Edited by luke1983

I looked at that picture of it with the cab on and thought to myself "ah that doesn't look very big, smaller than I thought.......

.....and then I saw the pull-start and was like....oh maybe it is a tad on the large side

Yes there the one's I'm not sure of the diameter but I can ask my mate as he owns his own RC model shop he might ring ripmax for me to ask them but if I find out I will let you know. I use Ali for the flat bed of my truck and then fibre glassed over it to hide the rivets then used body filler to get it nice and smooth. I took mine over the quarry today got a bit of video but I'm yet to put it onto my laptop all was going well until the dog bone's decided to keep falling out so I need to sort some longer ones. A friend of mine changed his wheels as he converted his model to a monster truck and when he did it he found it was slower and never getting to its top speed as he never changed the gears to componsate for the larger wheels. I think your mirrors will look cool when you finish them my saying is as long as you like how it looks it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I looked at that picture of it with the cab on and thought to myself "ah that doesn't look very big, smaller than I thought.......

.....and then I saw the pull-start and was like....oh maybe it is a tad on the large side

ha, nice one - it is a beast! Thats my dinner table it's filling in the pic...

Yes there the one's I'm not sure of the diameter but I can ask my mate as he owns his own RC model shop he might ring ripmax for me to ask them but if I find out I will let you know. I use Ali for the flat bed of my truck and then fibre glassed over it to hide the rivets then used body filler to get it nice and smooth. I took mine over the quarry today got a bit of video but I'm yet to put it onto my laptop all was going well until the dog bone's decided to keep falling out so I need to sort some longer ones. A friend of mine changed his wheels as he converted his model to a monster truck and when he did it he found it was slower and never getting to its top speed as he never changed the gears to componsate for the larger wheels. I think your mirrors will look cool when you finish them my saying is as long as you like how it looks it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Cheers I'll look forward to hearing back about it.  I've had a look on the Ripmax site and it dunt look like they stock them unfortunately. I look forward to the video on the quarry  :thumbsup: Yeah, the wheels are effectively the final cog in the drive train so bigger wheels would effect it.

I agree with your saying too dude. Cheers!!!  :thumbsup:

mirrors are a good idea! looks good :)

would like to see this sat next to a losi 5ive or baja 5b for size comparsion.

Cheers AD, I'll try and get to one the Freeprawn Super Cup or the next MSUK bash with it. Still need to get the pipes fitted - if they ever bloody well get here!!Oh aye & finish the body mount.

Evening folks,

A bit more progression the truck tonight.  I wanted the FG body which had the Mercedes symbol on the front I don't reckon they do them anymore; at least I couldn't find any for sale! So, I bought myself a Mercedes keyring off fleabay for a couple of quid, hacksawed the chain off it and Shoe Goo'dit on.Here's a pic for you:

gallery_15232_2095_33108.jpg

I've also glued the wing mirrors together:

gallery_15232_2095_529608.jpg

I'm still waiting for the pipes for the netherlands, starting to get a bit fed up of waiting tbh as I can't finish the last big step which is the body mount until I know how & where they are going to be positioned and mounted. If anybody reading this knows Rinus, give him a nudge for me would you please!!!???  I'll be ringing him tomorrow too!

Edited by luke1983

Got the body shell together and a few more stickers on today.  Drawings finished and in the post for the body mounts.  Here is how it looks at present.  Also just got two spare punisher diffs off fleabay for

Looks awesome mate, the merc key ring badge is a great idea!

Cheers mate - I'm just glad it worked! I think I should have maybe posted this section of the build in the scalers forum. Need to get the exhaust fitted, when it arrives and do some testing to see what needs upgrading to get all the petrol heads intrested again!

I'm really enjoying this dude! Wish I had to ability to do something like this :)

Keep up the posts dude I am interested  :thumbsup:

Just read that post back & I didn't mean it to sound like that!

Its all pretty straight forward tbh mate, if I can do it anyone can. Just takes a bit of thought time to figure the details out.  Mind you, four months away with work gave me plenty of time to do that! I'm glad to say that I reckon it has paid off.

I'm just starting to get a bit fed up of waiting for the damned pipes to arrive.  I paid good money for them,

Edited by luke1983

Rinus says next the pipes should be here next friday; there was a delay in making them! You don't say!? I wish I could believe him that they'll be here! If the pipes aren't here by then ill be asking for a refund. It was february when I ordered them after all...

Edited by luke1983

think you need an action man sitting up in that cab ! looks brilliant!

It's about 1:6 scale so I reckon that'd be about right!!

I just want to get it finished and start using it to be honest. I'll bear it in mind when I've got everything else sorted out. :thumbsup:

I like it you have got a nice looking truck now. I'd be a little fed up by now waiting that long for the exhaust, I very nearly had some video footage of my 6x6 in the quarry but I landed a jump wrong and blew my centre diff so it all had to be stripped down to repair and rebuild it so hopefully next time out it lasts longer than 5 minutes