• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

2.4Ghz vs 2.4Mhz

Disco.dave

Hi,

Are there any advantages to a 2.4Ghz radio other than not having to have a dopey telescopic ariel? I only bash on my own, so interference isn't an issue. Is there a range or response issue?

2.4Mhz you say...

thats two point four megahertz, I think the band you're after is 27MHz, or even 40MHz :)

As for the end point adjustment and model memories, thats not a given, the majority of the cheapo 2.4GHz radios aren't spread spectrum and use a signal channel making them extremely susceptible to lost frames. Spektrums DSM and DSM2 are marginally better using 2 channels and switching between them, but they seem to be quite adequate for ground RC.

For real robustness you need a system like DSMX, where it uses many channels, 50? and switches between them in a random order, but is in sync with the receiver. So if one channel is noisy you only loose 2% of the data.

As for 27MHz and 40MHz.

27MHz is a band assigned for general use, so you can find welding equipment putting out megawatts of power as well as many other sources of interference.

40MHz on the other hand is dedicated to ground RC, so you shouldn't get much interference from external sources, but due to various factors it is very susceptible to badly suppressed electrics.

So,

27Mhz - AVOID!!!

40MHz - Better than nothing

2.4GHz - Cheap radios suck

Oh, theres also the modulation AM vs FM on both 27MHz and 40MHz to choose from. AM can be upset by a passing car with dodgy ignition, where FM will be fine, meaning FM is far more robust.

I was only going to type the first 2 lines, but got carried away a bit :whistling:

Edited by Beige

I went from 27Mhz AM radio to a decent 2.4Ghz radio, since, I've upgraded everything that was on AM, the difference is amazing.

The car even runs better because of it. On my AM radio, the servos would twitch. On the steering servo, it just meant wasted battery power constantly moving the servos slightly about. On the throttle servo, it meant an uneven throttle.

Range has also become a non-issue. I've never gone out of range, my hyper 7 disappears out of sight and is still in range...

I wouldn't hesitate, once you've upgraded, you'll never look back.